Honored Contributor

Re: Why you should quit drinking diet soda

On 1/30/2015 kjohnson said:

There are studies for both sides on nearly everything... studies that show whatever it is is bad for you, and studies that say there are no negative findings.

Just another data point. I've been drinking diet sodas for over 30 years. When I was 17 I picked up my first Tab and haven't looked back.

I continued to drink 3 -4 cans of diet soda a day while I lost over 100 lbs over a 5 year period. I was borderline diabetic 6 years ago...not any more. I was diagnose with mitral valve prolapse which there are no longer any signs of it. Many of my ailments where due to my morbid obesity and not because of the diet pepsi I had with my 2000 calorie dinner!

You only have my word, but when most people find out my age they are shocked as they typically guess me to be 5-10 years younger. My bones are doing just fine, my teeth are not rotting out of my head, and I don't get headaches or dizziness.

Either all these evils are not factual for the entire population or I'm an anomalous freak that is not impacted by artificial sweeteners.

Again you can refuse to believe any of this as I have no proof other than my word.

I'm not saying diet sodas are healthy, but I personally take many of these studies and their "facts" with a grain of salt.

Trust me I believe you. As I posted, I don't really feel any better having given up diet soda for the most part and trust me if it wasn't for my UTI issue, I'd probably drink more.

What's bad today will be good tomorrow. I do the best I can.

Contributor

I love my diet drinks....I need to have at least one bad habit!!

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Carmie said:
I have been drinking and eating food with diet sugar since I was about 16 years old. My poison of choice is saccharin (Sweet & Low). I am not a soda drinker and never have been, but I drink ice tea with artificial sweetener and Sparkling Ice which has Splenda in it. A drink with real sugar makes me thirsty.
I am 60 and I am not dead yet. I don't have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and I am not overweight. Okay, I could lose 5 lbs. I have been overweight in the past and I have to keep a careful eye or I gain easily. Obesity is more dangerous than diet drinks.
I have every one of my teeth with no dentures or bridges and my bones are fine. My skin is fine too.
If we think of all the bad chemicals we come in contact with every day, a soda or two is not too bad.
Just think: Everyday we shower, we use bath soap, shampoo, conditioner, hair styling products, face soap, deodorant, maybe shave cream for legs, cologne, toothpaste, mouth wash, skin lotion, make-up and make-up remover. I am sure there are many more I didn't mention. This is EVERYDAY!!
We color our hair too.
Lots of food in America is fortified with artificial vitamins, colors and even wood shavings in some breads, Steroids in our meet and our grains and vegetables are genetically modified. Oh, and the pesticides we ingest eating healthy fruits and vegetables!
We put all types of medications into our systems and most have a list of side effects that may be worse then what ails us. Our poor liver takes a beating no matter what types of chemicals we ingest.
My way of thinking. I am going to die anyway, so as long as I am healthy and feel ok I will ingest artificial sweetener.
Yes, like those people who smoke, drink and eat bad and live to Age 90, genes play a huge role in how we fair. But, for those with lousy genes it is a good heads up to know what might be a bad thing long term for your health.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Tissyanne said: Diet soda is not sugary, yet your statement about type 2 diabetes states "sugary drink".

The last paragraph compared diet soda to sugary drinks.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Anabelle, thank you for this article. I'm not a soda drinker; I have 2 or 3 sodas a year. I hate the carbonation. DH on the other hand, drinks it like water. He will go through a 2 liter per day.

On a slightly separate note, colas, diet or regular, promote bone loss. The phosphorus (phosphoric acid) in colas tears bone down.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/30/2015 sidsmom said:
On 1/30/2015 Tissyanne said: Has anyone read the latest study that indicates the latest studies will change, just give it time?

I think this is something, much like smoking @ your desk in the 80's, 10 yrs from now, we'll go, "OMG...we did that??" This is a study that's bound to stick.

I know what you mean. A Gentleman I worked with years ago who smoked like a chimney just passed. I was envisioning him sitting in his office at his desk with a cigarette in his hand ... WOWZER ! Who would think of doing that now.

Trusted Contributor

There are diet sodas that do not contain aspartame.

Diet Rite is one of the most well known and widely available diet sodas that do not contain aspartame. It is produced by the company that makes Dr. Pepper and Snapple products, and has been in production since 1958. Splenda is used to sweeten the beverages in this line of products, and they contain no caffeine, carbohydrates, or calories. Diet Rite comes in a variety of flavors, including a regular cola flavor, cherry and black cherry, red raspberry, white grape, and tangerine.

Alongside its other diet and zero calorie products, the Coca Cola Company began manufacturing a version of diet Coke that contains Splenda rather than aspartame in 2005. It comes only in the regular cola flavor, and those who want to buy the product must look for the information identifying the product as such on the label since diet Coke containing aspartame is still being marketed. Diet Coke with Splenda contains no calories.

Hansen's line of carbohydrate free sodas uses Splenda or stevia to sweeten them. In production since the late 1970s, there is a large lineup of diet sodas in assorted flavors in the line. A regular diet cola flavor is available, as well as black cherry and cherry vanilla crème, a creamy root beer flavor, ginger ale, tangerine, kiwi-strawberry, and pomegranate. The company also manufacturer's products under the name Blue Sky Free; the stevia sweetened diet sodas include lemon lime, cola, lemonade, and creamy root beer.

Although most of the diet beverages manufactured by Pepsi contain aspartame, the company has produced a product that uses Splenda as a sweetener. The soda, Pepsi One, contains one calorie per serving, hence the name. Pepsi has been selling Pepsi One since 1998. In addition to the aspartame free soda, PepsiCo manufacturers sports beverages, teas, and other soft drinks sweetened by Splenda.

A lesser-known product line, Zevia produces diet sodas that are sweetened with stevia. The sodas contain no calories, and they are available in assorted flavors. Traditional cola flavor is available, as are ginger ale, a ginger root beer flavor, orange, lemon-lime, and black cherry. Zevia products began being manufactured in 2007, but didn't receive approval as a soda by the FDA until 2009.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/30/2015 sidsmom said:

The 'pro' studies are usually sponsored/paid for by the diet drink manufacturers....follow the money trail. All those cans/bottles not being recycled should be #1 reason for not drinking those items.

Sidenote: I heard today we throw away 500 Million deposiable plastic straws every day! Eco-friendly restaurants are encouraging "No Straws" campaign.

I do agree that pro studies are often sponsored by a group related to the manufacturer. However, it is always important to understand who is behind any study because often even the "con" studies are funded by those who have their own ax to grind. Also not just in this area, but in the political and other arenas, the name of the group doing the study will sound "official", but in reality is funded by sources who have an agenda. For the record, I am primarily a tea drinker but occasionally will have a diet drink - usually Hansons which does not contain aspartame.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 culebra said:

I gave up diet coke years ago also and switched to water. Occasionally I have a Diet Pepsi. Sometimes I just crave the carbonation. If you commit to drinking eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day, you will not crave diet pop anymore.

My skin is better, I sleep better, and I do not retain water anymore.

I gave up drinking diet Pepsi last year. I was drinking diet soda then eating antacids.

I buy carbonated water now. Ice Mountain makes it and I now find it under my grocer's name label. It's $1 for a 2ltr.Some have flavors like lemon or lime. A bit of flavoring but no sweeteners or other enhancements. A little flavor and a little fizz.

Valued Contributor

True story: when I was growing up in the 1950s-60s, my pediatrician told my mother NOT to give me and my sister soda or other sugary soft drinks. Reason: sugar, caffeine, empty calories. He said if we MUST have soda, then we could be allowed to have ginger ale for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, and other holidays. He hit the nail on the head even so many years ago, even without all the constant flow of conflicting medical studies we have now. Children should not consume excess sugar, and certainly not caffeine, because of the addictive and detrimental effects on their health and growing bodies. I know, I know, try telling that to kids, but it's true. To this day, mostly out of habit, we don't drink soda--only seltzer flavored with lemon-lime or spiked with pomegranate juice, iced tea, or good old plain water.