Honored Contributor

Re: Why you should quit drinking diet soda

It is alway, a good reminder to people. Anyone that's really interested could have found this type of information years ago. As many experts have made well known over the years, if a person reads the labels and finds many words that they cannot pronounce, it is best to steer clear.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Tissyanne said: Has anyone read the latest study that indicates the latest studies will change, just give it time?

I think this is something, much like smoking @ your desk in the 80's, 10 yrs from now, we'll go, "OMG...we did that??" This is a study that's bound to stick.

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 annabella said:

There are few foods on the planet that offer absolutely zero nutritional value, and soda falls into this category. I'm always surprised at how many people ask me if diet soda is really that bad for you. If you're not convinced, it's time to get the facts and understand the real risks that come along with this unhealthy habit.

It messes with your skin: Studies have shown that a regular soda habit has been linked to accelerated aging. If the long-term effects aren't enough to scare you, diet soda lowers your pH levels, which can cause acne and leave your skin looking dull and tired.

It alters your mood: The aspartame found in diet soda has been linked to headaches, dizzy spells, and even mood swings. It's especially potent in people with a predisposition for anxiety or depression.

It leads to weight gain: A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500 percent.

It increases your risk of heart attack: One University of Miami study found that folks who drank diet soda every day were 44 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who abstained from drinking soda.

It ups your chances of developing diabetes: People with a daily soda habit (even just one or two per day) were more than 25 percent more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than individuals who had no more than one sugary drink per month.

Comparing one diet soda PER DAY to one regular soda PER MONTH is hardly an accurate comparison! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

I gave up diet soda for probably 6 months last year. I never drank a lot of it anyhow, not even daily, but I noticed absolutely no difference at all to how I felt when I gave it up. I went back to sporadically drinking it.

The day after x-mas I got sick and since then, I have zero taste for diet soda. I don't know what happened but the thought doesn't even appeal to me. Again, I don't feel any different not drinking it.

I also posted in another thread about drinking more water that people were suggesting flavored enhanced waters or using those powders or liquids to squirt in plain water but those are all artificially sweetened.

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

There are few foods on the planet that offer absolutely zero nutritional value, and soda falls into this category. I'm always surprised at how many people ask me if diet soda is really that bad for you. If you're not convinced, it's time to get the facts and understand the real risks that come along with this unhealthy habit.

It messes with your skin: Studies have shown that a regular soda habit has been linked to accelerated aging. If the long-term effects aren't enough to scare you, diet soda lowers your pH levels, which can cause acne and leave your skin looking dull and tired.

It alters your mood: The aspartame found in diet soda has been linked to headaches, dizzy spells, and even mood swings. It's especially potent in people with a predisposition for anxiety or depression.

It leads to weight gain: A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500 percent.

It increases your risk of heart attack: One University of Miami study found that folks who drank diet soda every day were 44 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who abstained from drinking soda.

It ups your chances of developing diabetes: People with a daily soda habit (even just one or two per day) were more than 25 percent more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than individuals who had no more than one sugary drink per month.

Comparing one diet soda PER DAY to one regular soda PER MONTH is hardly an accurate comparison! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I wonder where the info came from, it would be nice to credit the study if these are real facts

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 sidsmom said:
On 1/30/2015 Tissyanne said: Has anyone read the latest study that indicates the latest studies will change, just give it time?

I think this is something, much like smoking @ your desk in the 80's, 10 yrs from now, we'll go, "OMG...we did that??" This is a study that's bound to stick.

Go ahead, think.
Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I gave up diet soda for probably 6 months last year. I never drank a lot of it anyhow, not even daily, but I noticed absolutely no difference at all to how I felt when I gave it up. I went back to sporadically drinking it.

The day after x-mas I got sick and since then, I have zero taste for diet soda. I don't know what happened but the thought doesn't even appeal to me. Again, I don't feel any different not drinking it.

I also posted in another thread about drinking more water that people were suggesting flavored enhanced waters or using those powders or liquids to squirt in plain water but those are all artificially sweetened.

they have flavored stevia liquids you can add to water that are very good!

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 LipstickDiva said:

they have flavored stevia liquids you can add to water that are very good!

Flip over the packet/bottle of your stevia product.....greater than zero chance it has additional chemicals added. Whole Foods has one of the cleanest brands w/ nothing but Organic Stevia, Water & Alcohol. Alcohol is questionable, but it's used in small amount only for cooking....I wouldn't use it for drinks. How about a leaf of the stevia plant? Or a leaf of mint?

Honored Contributor

If you're ready to quit for good and reclaim your health, learn how to break your soda addiction. It may seem tough, but it is possible!

This particular section states 'daily soda habit' but did not specify 'diet' soda. All other info specifically names diet soda as the culprit.

I would conclude then that it means daily REGULAR soda drinkers (sugar filled soda) would have a higher risk of type 2 diabetes than those who drank only one sugar drink/month.

Comparing an every day consumption to a once per month consumption is kinda obvious! The time frames for comparison aren't even close!

Honored Contributor

I read the 'daily soda habit' as DIET SODA. It's saying there's a greater risk of T2 diabetes with daily diet consumption. A good chance those with T2 risk would replace regular soda w/ diet thinking they are doing good...they're not. There's stil a very, VERY high risk of Type 2 Diabetes with Diet Soda.