Honored Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

Funny...people would rather cut themselves open & expose themselves to the great risks of surgery rather than doing such a simple, simple thing....change the diet. Boggles my mind.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

I am not overweight. I eat a healthy diet. But, I have RA. So, sometimes surgery is the only alternative. Before I was diagnosed I was an avid distance runner and worked out 6 days a week at the gym. I did everything right. So, to those who want to blame the victim for bad knees...think againl. I will avoid surgery as long as possible, but when the time comes and I have no choice, I will get a replacement.

I won't apologize for simply getting older and having a disease. I know running added to my bad knees, but it isn't the only factor.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 sidsmom said:

Funny...people would rather cut themselves open & expose themselves to the great risks of surgery rather than doing such a simple, simple thing....change the diet. Boggles my mind.

It's just not that simple and if you think it is...then, I don't know what to say. Let me add, that not every patient we saw that needed a total joint replacement was overweight. You have to remember that many people used to hold factory jobs and there are people that have jobs requiring them to be on their feet all day and many who have to walk a lot to take public transportation.

You may not mean to come off sounding that diet alone with cure all your ills by eating sprouts, kale, herbs and vitamins and eat less beef, pork, etc. Moderation is and always has been the key. There are also genetic factors.

Trusted Contributor

My knees are bad and was refused treatment because of my weight,he will do them after I lose some and I agree with him why go thru that surgery and still make the joints carry around so much weight. That very week I started Water Areobics,and eating better. I created this fat it is up to me to now fix it.
Honored Contributor

It's not all about overweight. Sometimes the size of the body doesn't make a difference...it's the inside. Just focusing on the additives....MSG, trans fats, fructose, aspartame...just eliminating those things would make a huge difference.

The additives of today's modern world might account to the increase of surgery to our joints. Coincidence.

Honored Contributor

I've been in Karate most of my adult life and was a 2nd Degree Black Belt. My knees are bad, I've had three operations on them and will not get them replaced. I've always been physical (roller skates, ice skating, skateboards, volleyball, field hockey, you name it) and still am although nothing other than Hapkido, Tai Chi or gardening for me now. Do I think doctors are rushing us into knee replacement surgery way more than they should? Yes.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I believe it is our lifestyle as well as diet, etc. we were an on the move generation living a healthier lifestyle. Course, we didn't know what would happen at this stage of the game. I had my shoulder done about 5 yrs ago. Told the surgeon I led a healthy, active life and he said that's why!! Along with the rotator he tightened muscle and scraped arthritis. So much for our lifestyle!!
Respected Contributor

It is not all about diet...I too have ra and had a tkr 5 years ago.,in spite os a careful diet and a very active life style and aggressive meds, this disease has done damage. I never ran, but walked 3 miles a day for years, swam competitively and played volleyball in hs and colleges. My son who is in his late 30s is facing one as a result of football injuries.
Frequent Contributor

The best diet on the planet will not replace missing cartilage or worn joints. I'm a former runner and will probably need at least one knee replaced in a few years. My ortho surgeon specializes in sports medicine and told me he does many replacements on athletes, many of whom were following strict healthy eating routines as part of their training. You can reduce inflammation but that works on muscles, and it's not the muscles causing trouble when joints need replacing.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting subject. Heavier bodies absolutely makes sense. So does the fact that our generation is more into sports activities longer than our parents. They worked hard and long, but most didn't ski, run, bike, etc.

I injured my knee snow skiing in Colorado when I was 33. Every once in a while I get my knee drained. My 55 year old ortho surgeon said he stopped running @ 50. Now he bikes. My family doctor is about the same age. He bikes and swims. No more running, plus he does yoga.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau