Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

There are a number of factors re to knee replacement surgery: age, weight, type of activity, diet and genetics
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

I'll read all these posts to my prosthetic hip and see what the consensus is. Artificial intelligence, you know.

May you never know bone-on-bone joint pain, or a completely immobile joint. No amount of conjecture or taking a moral high road will fix it. Never once did I feel pressured to participate in a "procedure du jour". I am grateful for modern medicine and to my skilled surgeon for helping me to get on with my life, still able to walk. Would I change some of the choices I've made leading to this point? Maybe, maybe not.

I commend all who approach life with the best of intentions and a modicum of care for themselves and the people they give a darn about. Best of health. May you never need your leg bone sawed apart and hammered back together, but if you do, all the things you know about nutrition, weight control, and good living will come in handy.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We're all getting older and bodies only last so long. Thank goodness, like old cars, we can get some replacements for some things. We're very lucky that way.

Trusted Contributor

I've worked on post-op ortho floors, (hips and knees). Certain joints are 'wear' items. IOW: you only get so many bends-and it wears out. We did many knee replacements on young, fit people that had overdid it on the high-impact exercise. Carrying excess weight contributes to the wear process. The doctor will tell very obese patients to lose the weight, and avoid doing any high impact exercise to minimize damage to the knees. That show, 'The Biggest Loser' goes completely against doctor's advice.

Honored Contributor

I cannot adequately describe how much better my weight bearing joints feel after major weight loss. I had made a list of all the good things that might happen if I could lose weight BEFORE I began making major lifestyle changes, and that was one of them. And at 85 pounds less, it has happened. No more knee pain!
Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 bikerbabe said: Age and previous generations suffered with bad joints because surgery wasn't an option.

This!

I'm only 58, almost 59 and I'm sure a knee replacement is in my future. I was born with bad knees inherited from my Dad. My brother had bad knees too.

Respected Contributor

Arthritis and my obsession with this thing years ago is what I think has made my 59 year old knees crabby.....oh, and I am overweight now, too.

The Step Workout System - SportsAuthority.com

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 violann said: I cannot adequately describe how much better my weight bearing joints feel after major weight loss. I had made a list of all the good things that might happen if I could lose weight BEFORE I began making major lifestyle changes, and that was one of them. And at 85 pounds less, it has happened. No more knee pain!

I'm so glad that worked for you, but it didn't for me.

I had gall bladder troubles about 2007 and knew I was going to have to have surgery. I didn't want to do it at my then 310 lbs, so I lost 135 pounds over the course of more than one year. I felt worse after the weight loss than before, as far as joints were concerned.

I went on to have the gall bladder surgery, but my joints, all over were so much more painful (including knees) than before I started. I put back on a few pounds, and felt better, for awhile, but it hasn't lasted. I'm sure all my years at constant weight gain and loss, and pounding the concrete floors at work all day, have heavily contributed to the current condition of my knees. It is supposed to work, having less weight on those joints, but doesn't always go as it should.

Trusted Contributor

I was born with knee issues and wore corrective shoes as a child. Mine were ligament problems. As a teenager, I played tennis, and was very active. After college, I worked in a city office setting and wore high heels most of the time. Took aerobics classes.

Woke up one morning, at the age of about 23, and my knee was swollen. That became a chronic issue through most of my life. Now I'm 56 and I have arthritis, but it's mild.

I did aquatic therapy and it really helped strengthen the ligaments that support my knee joints, so my knees are much better.

Many times you can delay knee surgery by keeping your ligaments strong.

Now, my back hurts.............................. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 pupwhipped said:

Arthritis and my obsession with this thing years ago is what I think has made my 59 year old knees crabby.....oh, and I am overweight now, too.

The Step Workout System - SportsAuthority.com

Yep. That's the problem with having "bad knees". Rigorous exercise is out of the question.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."