Super Contributor

Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

Yet another friend is having another knee replacement in the morning. Granted we graduated in 1967, but 5 of my girlfriends have had Double replacement. I'm feeling a little uneasy about it. So far mine are, fine ache once inawhile. But texted with my friend about her surgery in the morning for 30 minutes and now my knee's are hurting.( Mental I know) Is there anything you can do to prevent this from happening. I think knee replacement is the new hysterectomy!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

Proofer, maybe the boomer generation is just harder on their joints. I think women of this time had very different jobs than their mothers. We ran, jogged, aerobicized and in general worked our bodies harder.

Just a thought.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Why would this be?? Every friend I had in high school, has had knee replacement,

I think it is the lifestyles of 'our' generation. Much more sports, and running (which I think is terrible on the joints, unless you run strictly on soft surfaces), and more women working on concrete floors all day now than a couple of generations ago.

As a society, we are also heavier than ever before, and lots of years with all the extra weight on many women are taking a toll on their joints as well.

Honored Contributor

They are probably either overweight or OC runners. Both are horrific for one's knees. I have RA and osteoporosis and am 77 years old. I have no problems with my knees. I am not overweight and was never big on running. So I can only assume they are the biggest causes, although I am sure not the only ones.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Age and previous generations suffered with bad joints because surgery wasn't an option.
Honored Contributor

Hysterectomies are out, knee replacements are in. Doctors have to send their kids to college some way.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I graduated in '64 and knees are fine even though I've had fibromygia for years.

My high school friends' knees are fine too. I know two people in their 70's with knee replacements, one has arthritis, and the other is a guy who overdid athletics his whole life. I walk, and keep active. I wasn't overweight, but am now and am losing it slowly.

I do tend to think it is "in" and about where you live, what the doctors tend to do.

Honored Contributor

I always look within...diet. Fats, MSG, sodium, refined carbohydrates, sugar, etc....all these man-made foods & additives added to a SAD makes for trouble down the road. Stick with a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet & symptoms will greatly improve. Yes, overuse plays a part in arthritis, but eating a better diet, will reduce the inflammation.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 mominohio said:

I think it is the lifestyles of 'our' generation. Much more sports, and running (which I think is terrible on the joints, unless you run strictly on soft surfaces), and more women working on concrete floors all day now than a couple of generations ago.

As a society, we are also heavier than ever before, and lots of years with all the extra weight on many women are taking a toll on their joints as well.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. After working for an orthopedic surgeon for years, he said running/jogging was the worst thing you could do to your lower extremities. From Achilles tendonitis, to shin splints to hairline fractures of the hip and tib-fib areas, impact activities are not the best. Swimming and cycling are the way to go.

Also, when severely overweight patients would come in and found to be candidates for a total knee or a total hip, he would tell them they had to lose weight and show a commitment that his surgery would be more effective.

It's ironic that last year I did significant damage to my knee by climbing stairs. I will be facing a total knee in a few years but right now, I am not quite 62 and with the cost of insurance, deductibles, etc. is enough to make me live with the discomfort.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 sidsmom said:

I always look within...diet. Fats, MSG, sodium, refined carbohydrates, sugar, etc....all these man-made foods & additives added to a SAD makes for trouble down the road. Stick with a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet & symptoms will greatly improve. Yes, overuse plays a part in arthritis, but eating a better diet, will reduce the inflammation.

That's just good advice and common sense although easier said than done for a lot of folks.

IMO it's just that people waited longer to have joint replacements as they worked longer, it was a tougher surgery 15-20 years ago, rehab is tough and people were so apprehensive. In the new age of social media and networking, people are armed with better and more knowledge regarding their own health. Thus, they are not waiting as long as we may have in the past.