Honored Contributor

Re: Who has insurance through the ACA and have your premiums gone up?

@2blonde wrote:

@millieshops  I've worked at the same place for very many years.  I can remember when everything was covered 100%.......no copays......nada. Times sure have changed.

Boy, have they changed!!     I don't know why people are surprised about health insurance rates going up ..... it's my experience that rates have gone up each year for at least the last 18 years .... it's something you can count on .... like death and taxes.

Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

I inquired about the rise of the premiums for those who had insurance through the ACA because there were a few articles on my news feeds about premiums being raised as much as 15% as well as the lack of younger people signing up and taking the fine.

Does anyone know of anyone having to pay a fine for not having insurance?

That is all!!!  I am making no statement for or against the ACA.

My insurance company has instructed me to download a tax form to prove to the IRS when I file that I have insurance so that I won't be fined.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@millieshops  I've worked at the same place for very many years.  I can remember when everything was covered 100%.......no copays......nada. Times sure have changed.

Boy, have they changed!!     I don't know why people are surprised about health insurance rates going up ..... it's my experience that rates have gone up each year for at least the last 18 years .... it's something you can count on .... like death and taxes.

Ah...you just reminded me...it IS a tax!

Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Actually, no .... it's an insurance premium.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Melania wrote:

It's just another attempt to blame ACA...yet again.

Ever since I have had insurance it has gone up. So to try and point this at the ACA is nonsense.

I have read all of the posts to this point. The only post I see the word "blame" is the one above, that I quoted. Hmmmm!

hckynut(john)

@Melania

@hckynutjohn

The way I get it is that healthcare costs rise each year.  That is no surprise to anyone.  If at work, we can pretty much expect a rise in our premium: we always have.  Upon retirement, I chose to remain with my employer's PPO plan, which the union lobied for greatly.

Now, I appreciate the ability to function within ACA.  However, what rankles me are the comments which seem to me to indicate they should get nearly a free ride at the expense of others. 

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Melania wrote:

Ever since I have had insurance it has gone up. So to try and point this at the ACA is nonsense.

I have read all of the posts to this point. The only post I see the word "blame" is the one above, that I quoted. Hmmmm!

hckynut(john)

@Melania

@hckynutjohn

The way I get it is that healthcare costs rise each year.  That is no surprise to anyone.  If at work, we can pretty much expect a rise in our premium: we always have.  Upon retirement, I chose to remain with my employer's PPO plan, which the union lobied for greatly.

Now, I appreciate the ability to function within ACA.  However, what rankles me are the comments which seem to me to indicate they should get nearly a free ride at the expense of others. 

ITA  .......I've never understood why people expect "free" health  insurance.    Insurance can be costly, but that's why different options and levels of coverage are available.   

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Melania wrote:

hckynut(john)

@Melania

@hckynutjohn

ITA  .......I've never understood why people expect "free" health  insurance.    Insurance can be costly, but that's why different options and levels of coverage are available.   

Thank you sfnative and Tinklebell! That's the point exactly!!

Some choose to live in the dark ages in their recliners.

Honored Contributor

Insurance companies started using co pays because they found that when eople are insured would be running to the doctor for every cut, scrape, sniffle and hangnail because they had insurance. Or they doctor shopped around several doctors til they got one who would give them exaxctly what they wanted, and the insurance had to pay. So they felt if going to the doctor was not free it may discourage this. I see it all the time with people who have medicare supplements that pay 100% of everything - they are constantly running to the doctor.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Insurance companies started using co pays because they found that when eople are insured would be running to the doctor for every cut, scrape, sniffle and hangnail because they had insurance. Or they doctor shopped around several doctors til they got one who would give them exaxctly what they wanted, and the insurance had to pay. So they felt if going to the doctor was not free it may discourage this. I see it all the time with people who have medicare supplements that pay 100% of everything - they are constantly running to the doctor.

@151949

Just a bit curious, could you be so kind as to supply a source for your statement?  My experience is that medical personnel are the WORST abusers of the HC system.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Gooday wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Actually, no .... it's an insurance premium.

Then please enlighten me re: a person who has no coverage must pay a penalty.  Just who gets the money from the penalty and why.  Just how does the penalty get paid?