Esteemed Contributor

Can't sleep-only 4 hours and I took melatonin. Trying to find and thought it was here. any help appreciated. Wanted to read again about white noise.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1

I don't sleep well (or soundly) either and I use an air cleaner right next to my bed for my white noise.

I feel your pain!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I seem to have no problem falling asleep watching TV but when I turn it off to go to sleep I often have difficulty falling back to sleep so I put the radio on to a talk station and it usually helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use white noise.  Right now I have a $19 machine from BB&B that’s does the job as well as more expensive ones.  

Respected Contributor

I know you did not ask about Melatonin, but I want to say that Melatonin is not a sleeping pill.  It's a supplement meant to be taken every night.  Building up Melatonin in your body is what helps you sleep.  If you take it once in a while, it is useless.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I could write a book about sleep deprivation.  Do an Amazon search for white noise.  I have a top selling model made by Dohm.  Can't sleep without it, which can be an issue in the case of power outage.  I'm sure there are apps as well.  I got a cheap white noise machine once and swear I heard other phantom noises coming through.  It gave me the creeps. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty  Do you have a sleep timer on your tv?  Most do.  I need to set mine because I do the same thing. 

The satellite used to shut it off for me because of inactivity after a few hours but this new cable system leaves it on all night long and sometimes a loud commercial can wake me up.    

Trusted Contributor

Re: White Noise

[ Edited ]

1. Keep room cool.  I live in the NE part of the country and keep window open a crack throughout the winter.

2.  Don't drink any fluids after 6.  Check the caffeine level of things you've drunk during the day.  I can't have anything with caffeine in the afternoon because it will keep me up at night.  

3.  White noise is helpful.

4.  Make sure bedding keeps you cool throughout the night.  

5.  How is your breathing?  I have trouble breathing through my nose, so yes, I wake up every few hours.  Check for sleep apnea.

6.  My cat sleeps with me and sometimes prevents me from moving in my sleep.

7.  Are you menopausal?  I never slept when I was going  through menopause. 

8.  Don't take naps during the day because it will throw off your sleep cycle.

9.  Stay consistent and go to the bed the same time each night.

10.  When was the last time you got a new mattress?  I had a very old one and was waking up regularly.  

Just a few things to think about.  Good luck.  

Respected Contributor

I use a cheap fan for white noise.  I don’t have the fan pointed directly at me while I sleep. 

Honored Contributor

DH and I have two fans on all night long year round