Esteemed Contributor

Re: White Coat Syndrome

[ Edited ]

I definitely struggle with this syndrome too!!  Rushing and fighting traffic to get to the apt; then sitting, fidgeting and waiting; then rushing in to get weighed and then BP taken!!   Mine is always higher!!

I remember hearing Dr Oz state that BP readings should be taken at the end of the doctor's visit.  By then, the rushing and anxiety have been minimized!  I often request another reading, but they do not like it!!!

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

I definitely struggle with this syndrome too!!  Rushing and fighting traffic to get to the apt; then sitting, fidgeting and waiting; then rushing in to get weighed and then BP taken!!   Mine is always higher!!

I remember hearing Dr Oz state that BP readings should be taken at the end of the doctor's visit.  By then, the rushing and anxiety have been minimized!  I often request another reading, but they do not like it!!!

When they ask to take the reading, just say you will do it at the end.  You are the consumer!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I have a bad case of it. Everytime I see my primary care I always take a list of my blood pressures just to prove its nerves.  I don't know why it happens, she has been my Doctor for years, and doesn't make me nervous. 

Regular Contributor

In my physicians office the medical assistant takes your BP during the intake process before my doc arrives.  it is all scripted but occasionally I ask them not to do it.  when she comes in to see me for my exam, she always repeats the BP and they have completely done away with the electronic BP machines- they are usually inaccurate and the pain they cause would probably make your BP higher.  The office used to have the MA use the electronic machine, but my physician always repeated it manually during the exam.  that BP is always 10-15 lower.  your seated position for the BP is very important.  you should be seated with your feet flat on the floor, legs not crossed.  your back should be against the back of the chair and the arm being monitored should be resting on a table top or arm of the chair.  there should be no conversation.  I know all of those things rarely happen with the MA bp check, but always true when my doc takes my bp.  it's all important.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs

Hasn't been an issue with me for a long, long time. Never been a Type A individual, and I think those that are might be more susceptible to this issue.

Not to be concerned, it is more common, than uncommon. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

I totally understand, i am the same way. i never used to be but the last few years this has been happening. And if i am going to the dentist, even for just a cleaning, i get very nervous.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't get that but I think it's because I worked in the healthcare field for so long that it doesn't bother me anymore when I go to see my doctor or when I have to go into the hospital.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have it big time, I never allow anyone to take my BP except for my internist, no one!!

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I don't know why because I work in healthcare, my hubby is  an RN, we have friends who are physicians and working in healthcare, I'm familiar with everything.  But still, my blood pressure goes sky high when I'm in my doctor's office.  It happened in my Endocrine doc's office last month and he called my pcp and she insisted I come in for bp check.  Which I haven't done because when hubby took my bp, it was fine.  My pcp's office left a vm msg again today, they won't stop until I go in.  So, I will go in about 2 hrs before the appointment and just relax and stay calm and give my body time to relax so that when they take my bp, it should be a true reading.  I have done that in the past, it works for me.

Honored Contributor

I take my own BP at home.