Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Does anyone have this too?!!  Everytime I have an appointment I feel a little nervous and my blood pressure is usually up!

I have no idea why this happens. I dont always feel really nervous although at times I do feel jittery depending on what appointment I have!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

I have it big time!  I can't seem to calm my nerves, and I usually "treat" myself when the appointment is over. I really trust and like my current internist, but I have always had a fear of doctors.  My blood pressure is always high when it is initially taken. 

Honored Contributor

I try and remain calm and relax but usually it doesnt help at all!  My Dr once told me that is the name for it! Sometimes a nurse will say they have it too!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Yes, I've had it for years and I have no control over it. In fact, the more I try to calm myself sometimes the worse it can get. On the off chance that my blood pressure ever is normal at the doctor's office, I tell them their machine must be messed up. Ha! Funny.....not funny.  

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs@I was thinking about this very thing today as yesterday at my appointment my bp was up slightly as it always is because of white coat syndrome. Also I drank a large caffeinated drink on my way there, which of course was a contributor.😜

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl   i figure that caffeine adds to it lol and sugar maybe too!

plus hurrying around to get ready and get there on time is not help either lol!

Honored Contributor

Yep!

I take my BP at home & it stores a week’s worth of entries.

I bring it in to show my doctor.  She says it’s very common.

Stress, definitely.  

Another thought...greater than zero chance we have our

legs crossed in the waiting room. They call our name, walk back

and immediately take BP reading.  If they insist recording the 

higher number, ask if they can take another reading 10-15 min

into the visit when things have calmed down. I would bet

it will be much, much lower. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  I totally agree! They should wait a while to take the BP. I bet the readings would be much lower!

Sometimes they have re taken mine later and it is lower. I alway think about why they dont wait.

The Dr has had me keep a BP log and it has always been fine!

Respected Contributor

For me it has nothing to do with the white coat syndrome & everything to do with that darn blood pressure cuff, it hurts like crazy & I dread it.

Honored Contributor

I'm even worse....I get stressed taking my BP at home these days!  I'm hopeless!!!!!!  When I go for a checkup, it always seems that when the triage nurse takes my BP, it's on the high side.  However, by the time I see my NP, when she takes it again it seems much more normal.  Again, I'm a hopeless case!!!!  Thankfully, I do take BP meds regularly!