Respected Contributor

Re: Which Flu Shot Are You Getting?

[ Edited ]

The flu itself isn't as scary as the complications that can develop from having it.........including bacterial pneumonia.  That's why the potentially less robust immune systems of young people and older people supposedly are at greater risk.

l

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm

Esteemed Contributor

I did not even know that there were different variations of the Flu Shot. I got my shot last weekend and it was the one that my medical coverage provides for (Kaiser Permanente) at their facility at no charge. 

Honored Contributor

Just the normal one--think I'm TOO young--Man Tongue am 64 now, for the super one--now how many times do I WISH I was deemed too "young" for something--Woman Tongue and I haven't heard very good things about it anyway--as far as side effects--don't know if it anymore effective or not. I was more than a little surprised that flu shots aren't 100% effective anyway---but still get them.

Honored Contributor

I just got back from getting the high dose shot at CVS. Not one single person waiting on line and I was in and out.

I got the flu last year even with having gotten the vaccine but I was told it was less so because of the shot. I know where I contracted it, though. I was in the ER and the man next to me had the flu. I mentioned to my husband...Just watch. Sure enough we were both sick within a few days. I am trying to stay out of the ER this Fall/Winter...that's for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner

I got my shot at Walgreens a few days ago.  After doing some reading about the different shots available I had decided to get a quadrivalent shot so that I'd have some resistance to both Type A's and both Type B's.  So I told the head pharmacist that I didn't want the "senior shot," I wanted the quadrivalent.  He told me that ALL of the different varieties of flu vaccine he had were quadrivalent - the senior, the regular, and several other varieties.  He even showed me the boxes with the word quadrivalent on them.  In the end, I opted for a regular quadrivalent, not the senior shot, even though I'm over 65.  I don't have any major health problems or any indications of a compromised immune system, and I didn't like the way I felt last year when I tried the senior shot.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I have had only a handful of flu shots in my life and all were mandatory because of age, school, or work...I stopped getting the flu shot and have not had any issues or the flu since!

Honored Contributor

I went to two different pharmacies today, including CVS where I usually get my shots. I just want the standard shot, but both had only the 65+ one in stock.  They expect to get more in this week. 

Honored Contributor

THANKS to all who replied!  A lot of good information an experiences here!

Honored Contributor

DH and I got our flu shots today. 

Since I turned 65 this past Tuesday, the pharmacist  gave me the senior shot. However DH doesn’t turn 65 until next month so they gave him the regular one.

We did get on the Shingrix vaccine waiting list.

Today was the first time I used my Medicare card and I felt so grown up.