Honored Contributor

Re: When you have a BAD COLD?

I haven't had a cold in forever. I don't usually take over the counter meds, so I would probably drink lots of warm tea and stay hydrated and have plenty of tissues handy.

If it progresses to the chest, I'd take Mucinex or some other med recommended by the pharmacist to keep the fluid out of my lungs.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Nothing.  Use saline solution in nostrils.  OTC meds can cause a rebound effect- you feel better then it gets worse.

That's what I ususally do ... BUT ... I just used my Net-pot w/ saline solution.  Nothing!

My nose is so stopped up, the water won't go thru my nostrils.

@RinaRina- drink lots of water, this will thin the mucous.  Also, hot steam shower or a vaporizer will help.

Esteemed Contributor

Allegra D & if I really get stuffed up I take Afrin cautiously.

Honored Contributor

BTW, for those who mentioned Afrin-

Afrin.PNG

Capture.PNG

Respected Contributor

Saline nasal irrigation, 1-2 packs of Emergency-C daily. Mucinex when needed. Lots of herbal tea. Good strong homemade chicken soup. Staying in bed watching TV.

Valued Contributor

Steam, steam, and more steam with a towel over your head.  In the shower, add a few drops of eucalyptus to the tub.  Lots of green tea.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Not sure what classifies as a "serious cold". I seldom have a stuffed up nose, more the opposite. What has worked for me in the past involves "no medication". The old "drink lotsa fluids", more real orange juice for me. I believe in keeping on doing what I do in a regular day.

For a stuffed nose, I put a sauce pan on our electric range/fill it with hot water, then bring it to a boil. Keep it boiling thus putting out steam. Put my head in the steam and breathe deeply through my nose for several minutes. That usually clears it out and if necessary, I repeat.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina  I use the Navage Irrigation System.  It's better than a netti pot.  CVS has it.  I use mine all the time and it can help prevent a cold by cleaning out the nasal passages.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina ,  i can't take any of those meds, but fortunately learned long ago that a quarter teaspoon (approx) of fresh ground horseradish placed toward the back the tongue will unplug my nose and sinuses very effectively. Just breathe for several second with it on the tongue.

Inhaling it straight from the jar doesn't work. That only irritates the tip of my nose. The vapors have to get to the back of the throat, nose, and sinuses from the tongue, just like with a lozenge.

Not 'prepared' horseradish, but the fresh ground they keep refrigerated.

Esteemed Contributor

I use a netti pot with a saline solution.