Trusted Contributor

Re: When will nursing homes allow visitors?

I really am not complaining. Kind of thinking out loud. I am so happy she is alive and well. She doesnt understand why we don't  come in and visit but there is nothing we can do about that but try to explain. I would be happy if just one person in each family was designated as an approved visitor. I don't think they should just allow everybody to come and go. Maybe this spring. 

Honored Contributor

I am in WV, and our local nursing homes have been closed to visitors for months, but as more people are getting vaccinated, administration has started working on a plan for safe visitations starting in the next few weeks.   

Several local nursing homes were hit extremely hard with Covid; one facility lost 35 residents in a very short period of time.   Another facility had 70 positive cases at one time; both patients and staff, and I believe they lost about 15 patients.  

The impact of losing those precious lives will never go away.  Much has been learned the hard way, and if I had a loved one in a nursing facility, their safety would be my only concern.   I would be sending lots of beautiful cards, notes, pictures, flowers, gifts, to keep my loved ones spirits up, until we could have a long awaited visit.   

Contributor

I work in long term care and our company policy is that the facility has to be COVID free, staff and residents, for 2 weeks before visitation can begin.  Quite a few residents got the vaccine but only about 30% of the staff.  That means the staff can still spread the virus.  We have not had a 2 week no COVID status for 8 months so it could be a while yet.

Super Contributor

I am able to go visit my parents who live in an assisted living apartment this week.  We meet in a comfortable room to visit and have a clear shield between us.  The last time they were allowed visits was in November right before Thanksgiving and then cases happened at their place and had to shut down.  I hope we are going in the right direction this time.  

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:
Thank you all. Just feeling a little frustrated and sad at the moment. I keep asking questions and I am persistent. I can only hope that with more people getting vaccines the numbers will go down and with warmer weather we can have some sort of contact outside in the garden. ❤️

Just want you to know that my LO and I are in the same miserable boat with you and your dear mom.

LO has had 2 separate cases of Covid (she's 92!) and I was sick with Covid for a little over 3 weeks and am now recovered.

LO has been vaccinated and I am not even on a list for vaccine yet.

In spite of heroic efforts, her AL was hit very hard. I was able to tell her I loved her in October, the last time I saw her. Now I'm wondering, but hopeful, if I'll ever have a chance to kiss her again.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva 

Judging from what I have heard from one of the top "so called" experts? Probably years.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@violann Smiley Sad I hope you will be able to see her, hug her and kiss her again soon.