Trusted Contributor

When will nursing homes allow visitors?

I completely understand that we need to keep the residents in nursing facilities safe. At the facility where my mother is at residents have gotten their second vaccines as did employees who wanted it. I have asked about done firm if visitation but there has been no discussion. My mother has done dementia and doesn't really understand us coming to her window, or FaceTiming. She isn't much for talking in the phone either. I just wonder when they will allow visitors. We are getting vaccinated as well. There are many employees who did not get vaccinated and must test several times a week. I would test first, suit up in gown and mask, anything. Any thoughts?
Respected Contributor

Re: When will nursing homes allow visitors?

Does her nursing home have a website with updates posted? Or something on your state's website? The nursing home I'm familiar with near me will not allow visitor again until the number of new cases goes below a certain level.

Honored Contributor

I believe that is up to the individual states and then the facility.  I also believe it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take full effect once given. 

Fingers crossed it is soon.  I know this is horrible for the residents and their family members.    

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I would call the nursing home where your mother is and ask. If you don't get anywhere, ask to speak to the administrator or someone in charge. Since all the residents have been given the second dose of the vaccine, it would seem to me that they'd at least be thinking ahead about when you would be able to visit. 

My state doesn't have all the nursing home residents vaccinated yet.

Good luck, I hope you can visit your mother soon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva wrote:
I completely understand that we need to keep the residents in nursing facilities safe. At the facility where my mother is at residents have gotten their second vaccines as did employees who wanted it. I have asked about done firm if visitation but there has been no discussion. My mother has done dementia and doesn't really understand us coming to her window, or FaceTiming. She isn't much for talking in the phone either. I just wonder when they will allow visitors. We are getting vaccinated as well. There are many employees who did not get vaccinated and must test several times a week. I would test first, suit up in gown and mask, anything. Any thoughts?

@KCDiva @I think that once some data comes in regarding residents, visitors and staff that have been vaccinated and the number of concomitant resident cases, severe illness and death, it will be possible for different jurisdictions and individual homes to make decisions. Right now, there's not enough data to determine if visits from vaccinated relatives with vaccinated residents is safe. It will just take some time to see. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on your state and the specific facility's interpretation of the state rules.The administrator of the residential care home where my Mom lives stays current with the ever-changing state guidelines and statistics, and applies her medical expertise to apply the guidelines to her operation.

Visitation rules were modified by our state to allow outdoor visits for a limited length of time with masks and temperature checks. Then indoor visits were allowed under certain guidelines - the care home administrator allowed indoor visits BUT they could only occur if the visitor was identified as 1 of 2 "critical caregivers" and if that person presented proof of a COVID test within 4 days of a visit. I continued with outdoor visits, and the staff were tested regularly. Then an approved indoor visitor tested positive and everyone was locked down for quarantine and more testing. All clear after 14 days, so visits resumed. I continued with outdoor visits as weather permitted. Mom got her first vaccination. Then a staff member tested positive and the place was locked down again. More testing of staff and residents -- everyone negative so far. Don't know when visits will resume, but I will continue outdoor visitation only when permitted. Mom gets her second vaccination on Monday and they will test everyone again. They haven't had a single case of resident infection and only this one  recent staff infection since the initial lockdown in March '20 -- so I'm hopeful that will continue.

It's a game of whack-a-mole to keep the situation under control.

Honored Contributor

I believe in my state visitors are now allowed under highly controlled conditions.  All nursing home residents and employees have received t h eir vaccine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all. Just feeling a little frustrated and sad at the moment. I keep asking questions and I am persistent. I can only hope that with more people getting vaccines the numbers will go down and with warmer weather we can have some sort of contact outside in the garden. ❤️
Frequent Contributor

I live in Ohio.  My MIL just got to visit her mother two days ago.  Her mom has her vaccines and staff as well.  Two people were allowed.  Scheduled.  They had to wear a gown, mask, and face shield.  They visited in a select room for 30 minutes.  It's a beginning.  My MIL mom is 101!  I worked 20 years in Program Services and both of my parents were in nursing homes.  I worry so much about this population and the staff as well.  I hope you get to see your mother ASAP.  I would keep asking your facility.  Perhaps check on nearby facilities to know what they are doing?  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva wrote:

My Mother is 98 and in an assisted care facility and I have not seen her in person for 14 months because they are following the CDC guidelines. She just received her 2nd vaccine shot. Be grateful that your Mother is alive and be patient.Smiley Happy