Respected Contributor

Re: When did you hit menopause?

My wife started menopause when she was like 40. And she was thrilled to be done early. She takes after her mom. She ended early to.   I'm not trying to make anyone jealous but you asked.  Lol.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I ask because I'm still waiting. I get hot flashes and my Doctor even did blood work and said I'm close but I just keep waiting. I'll be 55 this year. 

@Lali1 

How the heck does a blood test tell you if you've hit menopause?  If you haven't had a period in a year, that is supposed to be when you hit menopause, plus all the other super-fun symptoms...hot flashes, forget ever trying to lose weight again, so long sex drive, etc.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

49.  I started a low dose of Provera which prevented all of the usual symptoms, and helped me breeze thru the next 10 years.   

I wanted to avoid repeating my mothers menopause experience at all cost.   She nearly drove herself, and the rest of us to the very edge of crazy.   

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I ask because I'm still waiting. I get hot flashes and my Doctor even did blood work and said I'm close but I just keep waiting. I'll be 55 this year. 

@Lali1 

How the heck does a blood test tell you if you've hit menopause?  If you haven't had a period in a year, that is supposed to be when you hit menopause, plus all the other super-fun symptoms...hot flashes, forget ever trying to lose weight again, so long sex drive, etc.

The blood tests  were checking hormones. I suppose it showed my hormones had changed. The doctor never gave me a time frame, 

Honored Contributor

Roughly late 40's....had a few emotional issues for 1 summer but no hot flashes.  Breast cancer is an issue in my family so I didn't take any hormones, really didn't need them.

Honored Contributor

I honestly have no idea.  I had a complete hysterectomy I think 4 years ago.  Although I wasn't supposed to go into menopause because they left my ovaries, I started getting hot flashes while I was still in the hospital. 

Because of my hysterectomy, I really have no way of knowing without bloodwork and I'm not inclined to have it done.  I just figure I have. 

Super Contributor

I just turned 54 and only recently have begun skipping cycles in the last 3 months. For the last 5 years or so I had experienced night sweats , but stayed regular monthly. Then about 6 months ago its no longer night sweats, but night time hot flashes. Another change I noticed in the last year is that my skin has become ULTRA sensitive to everyting. So bad I had to see a dermatologist and change all of my soaps, lotions and detergents to "fragrence free " . Other changes I won't mention as well....... UGH, thanks Mother Nature! 

Super Contributor

@ninjawife  I just turned 54 and feel like I've been in Perii -menopause forever too! The night sweats have stopped, but they are now night flashes!! Just started becomming irregular. I can't imagine what it must be like to not have a period  each month for that many months, just to have it show up again!  Not sure if that is a curse or a blessing (depending on your other symptoms) Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Lali1  - you are describing me LOL!  This is exactly what i went thru each month unitl about a year or so ago. Headaches decreased a lot, night sweats turned into night hot  flashes, period skipped to every other month. I just turned 54. 

Respected Contributor

I started early--48--and it was hell. Probably way worse than normal, plus the doctor who treated me didn't know what he was doing, so I suffered more than normal.

When I started having an ob/gyn treating me, it was much better.

Be sure your doctor knows what s/he is doing; can you believe that mine gave me Premarin???. On the other hand this was over 20 years ago so I'm sure you'll be given much better, up-to-date treatment, if you even need it.

Do NOT try to tough it out. That's what my mother did and I guess she felt like she deserved a gold start for not relying on "chemicals" (large quantities of alohol didn't count, in her estimation) but it was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of us, since she yelled, screamed, and drank her way through menopause.

Best of luck to you.

ETA to the OP: are you having any symptoms yet?