Honored Contributor

Re: When did you hit menopause?

50.... don't remember much about it other than occasionally being in my own personal monsoon,... sweat dripping without warning when under a little stress. For a time I could tell people to be nice to me or I'll shake this all over the room....  no change in personality, I've always been cheeky.....  Woman Wink  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

at 42 shortly after the birth of our younger daughter in 1975. Funny aside is the DH got a vasectomy after the birth and I followed that with my change of life, as we used to call it. 

Honored Contributor

I was around 48.

Valued Contributor

I have very little memory of it. It occurred during a traumatic time in my life. My son was in his 20's and battling a brain tumor. He passed away at the age of 27 and I was 49. I just know that menopause for me happened some time between 42 - 48. It's like I woke up one day and realized I was no longer having periods.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

I had my only child, my son, when I was forty five and within months, went into menopause. Guess my hormones had one last party before they left the room....

Honored Contributor

@Lali1   In my late 40's I had peri-menopause.  When I had a total hysterectomy I went into full blown menopause and then the dr. gave me a tiny patch to wear with estrogen and I felt like a new woman.  In peri-menopause, I had hot flashes and night sweats and it was awful.  When all this mess started I said, you are your hormones.  Just remember, every woman is different.  You may have light symptoms or they could be more of a nuisance.  Also, it takes quite a few years to be over.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I started with hot flashes at 40 - just like my mother did!  My doctor kept telling me I wasn't in menopause, but I knew I was!!!  Yes, it was tons of fun.  Finally, I went on estrogen and all the symptoms subsided.  Woman Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I have very little memory of it. It occurred during a traumatic time in my life. My son was in his 20's and battling a brain tumor. He passed away at the age of 27 and I was 49. I just know that menopause for me happened some time between 42 - 48. It's like I woke up one day and realized I was no longer having periods.

@Sapphiregal   Bless you.  That must be the most painful thing a parent ever has to endure.  It's possible you were spared the anguish of menopause while suffering the most traumatic thing a mother must have happen in her life.  I once had to drive my son who was near-death to a hospital in a nearby city on a hot Friday afternoon and I do not even recall the traffic lights, the heat (and my air was out), the traffic or anything else but getting my son there.  Fortunately, after a few days in a coma he recovered.

Honored Contributor

Late 40s. I had hot flashes regularly for several years after that plus I had some short-term memory loss issues, too. I never had any memory problems before so I thought it was age-related until I found out that the decreasing estrogen levels may have played a big factor in that and once it leveled out then I was fine. Today at age 65 I still get an occasional hot flash but now my memory issues are covid related.Smiley Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

Hysterectomy @ 48 yo so this pushed me into menopause. Having endometriosis so badly prior to surgery, the menopause seemed mild in comparison. Varied experiences but none are pleasant. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau