Respected Contributor

Re: When did you hit menopause?

@BornToShop wrote:

I was 47 when it started.  Hot flashes were unbearable; I would have to lay out 2 extra nightgowns at night with a towel on my sheets due to night sweats literally waking up numerous times soaking wet, ugh.  I took Estroven which really helped.  It's been 17 years and still deal with sleep issues.  I can fall asleep with no problem but wake up 2-3 times during the night.  Thank goodness I'm retired so not having to deal with work!  

BornToShop I think you and I must be related because it was the same with me (started at age 48). I'm 70 now and I still have sleep problems.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I started early--48--and it was hell. Probably way worse than normal, plus the doctor who treated me didn't know what he was doing, so I suffered more than normal.

When I started having an ob/gyn treating me, it was much better.

Be sure your doctor knows what s/he is doing; can you believe that mine gave me Premarin???. On the other hand this was over 20 years ago so I'm sure you'll be given much better, up-to-date treatment, if you even need it.

Do NOT try to tough it out. That's what my mother did and I guess she felt like she deserved a gold start for not relying on "chemicals" (large quantities of alohol didn't count, in her estimation) but it was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of us, since she yelled, screamed, and drank her way through menopause.

Best of luck to you.

ETA to the OP: are you having any symptoms yet?

Headaches before that TOM, hot flashes same, night sweats same. My mood has not gotten worse I believe it's a little better as far as pms. 

My mother had a hysterectomy after having me at 30 and was on Premarin. She passed of breast cancer in 1997. So for me I am very weary of taking anything. But for now I don't need anything. None of my symptoms are bad. I just want the TOM to go away forever. 

Trusted Contributor

im waiting... im 49  and still have periods every month.. i do sometimes get heat flashes, and i do have bad stomach bloating.. and yes i have mood swings alot  lol but im still getting periods, so im thinking im in peri-menopause. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

im waiting... im 49  and still have periods every month.. i do sometimes get heat flashes, and i do have bad stomach bloating.. and yes i have mood swings alot  lol but im still getting periods, so im thinking im in peri-menopause. 

It does sound like it. I forgot to mention my bloating and other stomach issues have gotten more amplified. 

I knew someone who had horrible mood swings and frankly I'm surprised she isn't divorced. She was a bit crazy at times. I witnessed it. But I didn't know her before so she could have been that way even before menopause. Both her and her husband say she was not always like that. That's always the way it's portrayed on tv. So I guess since I'm not feeling crazy I feel I'm doing pretty good. 

Honored Contributor

Doctor ran tests told me I was too young tried to get me take something to make me have my period. I told her no thanks. Finally went a year without when I was 47. At 45 & 46 I had one period each year so could not include that?

I did have hot flashes plus you name it I had it. I was miserable, angry, hot etc. I'm now not the same person I used to be. I used to be a nice person not so much now. I just don't care anymore. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I have absolutely no idea when I did.  I am 59 and had a hysterectomy at 32, was able to save one ovary.  Other than being on top of the world monthly for decades now with no pain I have never felt a downside to anything.  I know I must have gone through menopause but I think I may have been asleep.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I was 49, had a period like always and then no more. Went 13 months without one, but physically felt like was about to start one, crampy and etc.

Started spotting, and felt better than I had in months. Dr. made me have a uterine biopsy, everything was fine.

That was it.