Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: When did you hit menopause?

@ninjawife wrote:

I am 53 and I feel like I have been in peri-menopause forever.   When I first went into peri-menopause I had hot flashes and night sweats but that stopped over time.  I thought I was done as I did not get a period from November 2019 to July 2020 but lo and behold Aunt Flo has returned with vengance since then.

Oh no! I feel like I have been having symptoms forever myself. I'm sorry your Aunt came back. 

Trusted Contributor

Not really sure. I'd been on BCPs for so many years, it masked any symptoms. I'd guess around 51. That was when my mother did.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@Lali1, I was 52. I didn't have any hot flashes or the other symptoms you hear mentioned. My period kept getting lighter over a period of months, then just completely stopped one day, never to return. I'm currently 62, I'll be 63 in July.

@sgraham30 @Lali1 

My experience was quite the opposite.  I had been having heavier and heavier periods and at age 52, I had one that went into my 53d birthday.  I was seeing the OB/GYN daily for blood checks or ultrasounds.  I had something like polycythemia so the blood loss only generated more blood for me but at some point that was bound to turn itself around and become blood-loss anemia. 

So, after having 13 weeks straight weeks of bleeding and seeing a doctor, I opted to have a hysterectomy (we kept thinking the bleeding would stop and never return).  The bleeding only continued so at 53, I was castrated.  I had been having night sweats for years but that was mostly due to the polycythemia, not menopause.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

I am 53 and I feel like I have been in peri-menopause forever.   When I first went into peri-menopause I had hot flashes and night sweats but that stopped over time.  I thought I was done as I did not get a period from November 2019 to July 2020 but lo and behold Aunt Flo has returned with vengance since then.

Oh no! I feel like I have been having symptoms forever myself. I'm sorry your Aunt came back. 

@ninjawife 

I hope you have seen a doctor about the return of your periods.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ninjawife 

I hope you have seen a doctor about the return of your periods.

@Nonametoday Yes, my doctor knows.  There is nothing abmormal happening, I am just not in menopause yet.  

Esteemed Contributor

34. Periods became light and irregular, has my hormones checked, and low and behold, I was in peri-menopause. I had a few hot flashes, and then that was it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Consider yourself lucky @Lali1   that you're 'still waiting'.

For me, I was 40 when I the signs started. I'm now 68 and I still have hot flashes on & off. It isn't fun, quite annoying in fact. Once they start they never stop. True statement!!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A week after my 50th birthday was my last cycle.  It's been 14 glorious years I'll tell ya!

A bit of hot flashes in my late 40's, and more moody than anything but it was pretty smooth sailing for me.

Trusted Contributor

56 years old...no hot flashes at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Late 40's for me is when I started, no more periods, and now at 62 I get the occasional Hot Flash....I remember the irritability the most, as well as the hot flashes, but luckily I didn't suffer from night sweats!