Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: When did you hit menopause?

@Mary Bailey wrote:

16 years ago at age 45  at the same time DH was recovering from a stroke. He was 50.

What a lot to deal with at the same time. Bless you. 

Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I have very little memory of it. It occurred during a traumatic time in my life. My son was in his 20's and battling a brain tumor. He passed away at the age of 27 and I was 49. I just know that menopause for me happened some time between 42 - 48. It's like I woke up one day and realized I was no longer having periods.

I'm so sorry for your loss 😥

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1, I was 52. I didn't have any hot flashes or the other symptoms you hear mentioned. My period kept getting lighter over a period of months, then just completely stopped one day, never to return. I'm currently 62, I'll be 63 in July.

Honored Contributor

Shortly after I turned 60.  Everything just stopped.  No hot flashes, nothing.

According to my mother - that's standard in our female line.  

My doctor said that it's not uncommon.  

Respected Contributor

I should have added that I do have headaches days before my period and I have night sweats around that time. And hot flashes at the time but not so much otherwise. My Pms is a little worse but maybe it's my age and having no patience for BS. I still have my period right around the same time every month. Sometimes it's a coupl of days early sometimes a few days late. On those late ones I pray it's all over, 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhilaLady1 I also went on thyroid medicine about the same time as you did.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, you went even earlier than myself at 39.

Respected Contributor

At age 49 I had a total hysterectomy, ovaries and cervix removed which threw me into surgical menopause.  It was difficult--hot flashes and other issues so I took various forms of estrogen for a few years.  

One good thing was the migraines that came like clockwork every month due to menstrual cycle ceased with the surgery.  I hardly ever get a headache now (I am 67).  That was a wonderful side effect.

Respected Contributor

47 was experiencing peri menopause for 10 years before that. It was a nightmare until I used the estrogen 

patch. 
I've heard of many women your age still menstruating.

Respected Contributor

I am 53 and I feel like I have been in peri-menopause forever.   When I first went into peri-menopause I had hot flashes and night sweats but that stopped over time.  I thought I was done as I did not get a period from November 2019 to July 2020 but lo and behold Aunt Flo has returned with vengance since then.