Valued Contributor

Re: What to eat at the mall today = Migraine

In the meantime, not that this is a cure for you, try peppermint oil, or Origins Peace of Mind cream on your neck and temples just to help ease your discomfort. I sometimes go just for a 15 min chair massage to rub out my tmj and neck too. Hope you get to see the pain doctor soon!  Will be easier to get much needed painkillers from I would think. Shame we true pain sufferers have to feel humiliated to get relief. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@IMW

What really irked me was that I have chronic migraine.  Have had since 1984, so that pain is always with me, most of the time at a low level.  But the last few weeks have been heck, with flare to level 6 pain.  Then I forget to ask about the MSG and that just further ramps up the pain.  I didn't explain this in the beginning, because many folks, including my new PCP, don't believe in chronic headache/migraine and so this new guy is yanking my meds, preventive and otherwise, because he thinks I'm drug seeking. 

It's just something I don't mention very often.

@sfnativeI found beta blockers and verapamil to be very helpful. Before taking them, there were times I was hospitalized the pain was so intense. Also try a neurologist...they are great in finding the individual triggers for migraine. Feel better.

@Trinity11

In the 33 years I've had this headache, I've tried all but the ergotamine family of drugs.  Beta blockers were the first tried with no positive results, as it was with verapamil.

I was blessed with 2 wonderful years without pain while receiving Botox injections.  However, my body established a resistance to the toxin and Botox is no longer effective. 

I've also been through the arsenal of NSAIDs.  Found one, Mobic, that worked quite well and took it for 12 years.  That was the biggest mistake of my life, because it has ruined my kidneys.  I'm now in kidney failure Stage 3B.  However, at the time The drug & medical community knew the possible cardio side effects, but not renal effects.  Those with renal effects are now mounting up. 

So, right now, with my new doc, there is absolutely nothing I can take.  I'm very thankful to have just found a PCP Family Practice doc, not an Internist, who will take me on, but not until May.  I've had a horrible time finding a new Internist since mine walked off the job a month ago.  Since retiring several years ago, I have Medicare plus a great Blue X/Blue Shield PPO insurance plan.  Well, Internist offices will no longer honor Medicare.  They want ONLY Medicare Advantage, which I will not do. 

Have the name of a Pain doc just given me by a friend who swears by him.  Specializes in migraine and headache.  Am hoping to get in to see him in the near future.

I am so very sorry. I truly hope that the pain doc can help you.. Keep us posted how you are doing,@sfnative.

Honored Contributor

@DianeJ2 wrote:

@Trinity11@Low dose, daily Amitryptiline helps me. Glad you found something where pain not so ntense☺It's such an unpredictable life with migraines! Knowing triggers, diet and a  neurologist are incredibly helpful ☺ In Connecticut it's bad sinus weather right now, need all the prevention I can get

@DianeJ2

A low dose of Amitryptiline was a life saver for me.  I took it daily for about 5 years and have not had a migraine since 2003.

Valued Contributor

My migraines started at age 17. I spent many days under a blanket with ice on my head. I finally went to the doctors for help. My migraines were connected to my hormone levels. Every month I suffered. I was given Imetrix then zomig, then Macaulay etc. Each med only worked for so long. I tried vitamin supplements and food revisions but the headache would come back. Finally I was put on verapamil daily. As I became older the migraines increased in frequency and really affected my daily routine. We had to play with the dosage but finally it worked. If a migraine is threatening with the aura  I immediately take a Maxalt and the migraine does not come on. I wish you luck in finding the answer to your pain. It took a while for me to find the cure.  Em

Honored Contributor

I assume everything has Msg in it unless it's specifically says "No Msg".  All restaurants here are required to ask if you have any food allergies but I don't think that applies to mall food courts and fast food restaurants.  Thankfully, I have no food allergies.  We don't eat sushi but I seem to remember that when my girls were young, the pediatrician said no sushi under the age of 5.  That was a long time ago, they might have done away with that.

Valued Contributor

@lulu2 Yes, isn't it a lifesaver?  Even at a low dose! Also helps with my fibromyalgia aches. Took me awhile to adjust to grogginess,  even going to 10mg from 25mg. 

Glad that your migraines haven't returned. Such a better life without them ☺

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DianeJ2 wrote:

In the meantime, not that this is a cure for you, try peppermint oil, or Origins Peace of Mind cream on your neck and temples just to help ease your discomfort. I sometimes go just for a 15 min chair massage to rub out my tmj and neck too. Hope you get to see the pain doctor soon!  Will be easier to get much needed painkillers from I would think. Shame we true pain sufferers have to feel humiliated to get relief. 

@DianeJ2

Though I've tried many OTC type remidies, there's one prescription item that I do apply occasionally and it does help.  It's a Lidocaine Patch.  Requiring only 3 small strips, I trim them off of the larger patch and place them on the left side of my head where the pain is the worst, but not where I have hair.  These can be kept in place for 12 hours before removing.

Did something which turned out to be pretty stupid on Thursday, but didn't know it at the time.  Had a very small handful of a snack mix and within minutes my migraine pain had ramped up to a 6.  Having made a beeline for the darn bag of snacks, I looked at the ingredients and sure enough, MSG!  I'm going to have to look for that stuff in everything I eat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's what I was going to say MSG. I don't use it & try to stay away from it which is hard to do. It has several hidden names listed on ingredients instead of MSG. Here's one list I found online from many to choose from.

Hidden names for MSG and free glutamic acid:

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid: (7)

• Glutamic Acid (E 620)
  • Glutamate (E 620)
  • Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)
  • Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)
  • Calcium Glutamate (E 623)
  • Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)
  • Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)
  • Natrium Glutamate
  • Yeast Extract
  • Anything “hydrolyzed”
  • Any “hydrolyzed protein”
  • Calcium Caseinate
  • Sodium Caseinate
  • Yeast Food
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • Autolyzed Yeast
  • Gelatin
  • Textured Protein
  • Soy Protein
  • Soy Protein Concentrate
  • Soy Protein Isolate
  • Whey Protein
  • Whey Protein Concentrate
  • Whey Protein Isolate
  • Anything “…protein”
  • Vetsin
  • Ajinomoto

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid: (7)

• Carrageenan (E 407)
  • Bouillon and broth
  • Stock
  • Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
  • Maltodextrin
  • Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
  • Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
  • Barley malt
  • Pectin (E 440)
  • Protease
  • Anything “enzyme modified”
  • Anything containing “enzymes”
  • Malt extract
  • Soy sauce
  • Soy sauce extract
  • Anything “protein fortified”
  • Anything “fermented”
  • Seasonings

The following are ingredients suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in HIGHLY SENSITIVE people: (7)

• Corn starch
  • Corn syrup
  • Modified food starch
  • Lipolyzed butter fat
  • Dextrose
  • Rice syrup
  • Brown rice syrup
  • Milk powder
  • Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%)
  • Most things labeled “Low Fat” or “No Fat”
  • Anything labeled “Enriched”
  • Anything labeled “Vitamin Enriched”
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz

Thanks for sharing this important information.  I hope that at least a few migraine sufferers read it, believe it and give it a try.

Given recent experience, I've completed my research, have a huge like list posted in my kitchen and folded in my purse and also printed out the restaurant list.  KFC sure is the worst!!!  Any Chinese or Asian foods; just about all fast food restaurants, even those claiming to be "organic," "vegetarian" or "vegan;" and, there are a number of huge corporations that I don't believe I would be allowed to list here who are hiding MSG and glutimates.  They're even experimenting on how to increase the amount of MSG in their various fod products.  These companies are trying to "keep their labels clean," so you will never see MSG listed as an ingredient.  If it's "natural," as MSG is because it's made from beets, these large corporations consider that something they don't have to list on their ingredients list.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

"modified food starch" (alias msg) is a killer for me, causing migraines, achy joints and such. It is even in make-up and hair products!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~