Honored Contributor

Re: What to eat at the mall today = Migraine

@sfnative wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative@Moonchilde@mishka14@dex@ECBG

PF CHANG has gluten-free and msg-free menu.

Not a place for an inexpensive meal in a hurry tho, but if you want something prepared, this might be it.

@LTT1

Went to eat once at PF Chang and that was it.  I grew up on Cantonese food - the real thing, in San Francisco - and found that numerous dishes in this chain don't add up to authentic.

I ordered Mu Shui Pork.  What was placed in front of me was a pork mess and tortillas.  This is SO wrong.  And, it was greasy.  Chinese cooking is never greasy.  Never been back.  It was the tortillas that did it for me. 

I've eaten at a PF Chang's twice, and they aren't my preference in Chinese food. They are of the heavy, salty sauces & lots of garlic school. I prefer Chinese food seasoned with a light touch, and lightly sauced.  And yes, I thought their food was greasy too.

I confess, in LA I got used to tortillas being used for Chinese dishes. When I eat mu shu I don't use the pancakes. I like to eat it with (gasp!) crispy noodles from the can ;-)

I remember the first time I ate home-cooked Spring rolls made by a Chinese-Portugese woman from Macao. To.die.for and at the time (early 70s) very different from a typical Chinese restaurant egg roll.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sfnative, you might suggest, kindly, to hubby that he should let you vet the food you're going to eat, but it's okay for him to choose his own goodies too.  Poor guy, sounds like he's just being thoughtful.

I forgot when I mentioned the hot dog that the symptom that really tipped me off was that I had a severe "flush", at the ball park - bright red, hot face. I knew that was a symptom, otherwise I might have blown it off. I have had it happen (the flushing) eating Indian food - it's not an allergy with the Indian food, some Indian spices do that when their body isn't used to them. Rarely happens to me any more.

Waaaah! My neighborhood in LA had 2-3 Indian restaurants in every block. Where I am now, there are exactly two within reasonably close distance. I miss Indian food!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sfnative, you might suggest, kindly, to hubby that he should let you vet the food you're going to eat, but it's okay for him to choose his own goodies too.  Poor guy, sounds like he's just being thoughtful.

I forgot when I mentioned the hot dog that the symptom that really tipped me off was that I had a severe "flush", at the ball park - bright red, hot face. I knew that was a symptom, otherwise I might have blown it off. I have had it happen (the flushing) eating Indian food - it's not an allergy with the Indian food, some Indian spices do that when their body isn't used to them. Rarely happens to me any more.

Waaaah! My neighborhood in LA had 2-3 Indian restaurants in every block. Where I am now, there are exactly two within reasonably close distance. I miss Indian food!

@Moonchilde

Wow!  Sounds very close to an anaphylactic reaction - really.

I know about East Indian food in LA.  My Dad lived in the Silver Lake area and we'd go over I-5 into Glendale to eat at some really great places.  Love East Indian food, too.  Though we do have them in our community, it's not as good as that found in California. 

(BTW, I take it you're a Cancer, per your nic - Right?  I'm a double Cancer.  That always scares people off, when I tell them that fact, but my moon is in Libra.)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative, yes I'm a Cancer. Whether I'm Cancer with Cancer rising I'm not sure of. I had one chart done (at the Ren Faire, lol) that said I was indeed a 'double' with Cancer as rising sign, but I was guestimating my hour of birth so.....? Maybe not. We have well over a dozen Cancers in my smallish family. My mother, me, two nieces and 3-4 great-nieces for starters.

And for being on the cusp (with Leo), my personality is 5% Leo and 95% Cancer ;-)

Next time you're visiting your dad, ask him to take you to Porto's Bakery - famous throughout the city. They are in Burbank and Glendale. That area was "way across town" from where I lived the last 18 years in West LA - meaning that it takes a long time in traffic and many freeways to get from West LA to East LA and vice versa. Mostly the farthest east I went was Griffith Park and Hollywood.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative@Moonchilde

When I suggested PF CHANG's I didn't mean that you could order fancy, regular Asian food.

My nieces ordered white chicken breast and steamed broccoli.

PF also has GF soy sauce... but I'm not sure that variety is safe for migraine sufferers. 

When I ordered, they were able to prepare the lettuce wraps as GF.

Sorry, the food available is not the usually mouth-watering "sauce" variety!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@DianeJ2 wrote:

@Trinity11@Low dose, daily Amitryptiline helps me. Glad you found something where pain not so ntense☺It's such an unpredictable life with migraines! Knowing triggers, diet and a  neurologist are incredibly helpful ☺ In Connecticut it's bad sinus weather right now, need all the prevention I can get

I also suffer from migraines, and was put on Amitryptiline.  It didn't work, plus it made me gain ALOT of weight!  I always read the brochure before taking a new medication, and it did not state anything about weight gain.  After I started taking it, I had a extremely strong craving for sweets, couldn't get anough of them.  I couldn't figure out what was going on, I gained over 40 lbs in one year.  Then I read the brochure again and that one stated that it "may cause cravings, especially for SWEETS"!  Boy was I upset., wish I had been aware of this awful side effect sooner.  Even years after I stopped taking it, the weight simply wll not come off.  I really blame this drug for my huge weight gain.

I now take Imitrix injections at the onset of a migraine, and it works for me.  Also, I have sleep apnea, and after I started using my CPAP machine, my migraines have greatly reduced in frequency.  A wonderful side-effect discovery from using the CPAP machine!

Some foods are a trigger, too, such as bananas, and I LOVE bananas!  Robot Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative@Moonchilde

When I suggested PF CHANG's I didn't mean that you could order fancy, regular Asian food.

My nieces ordered white chicken breast and steamed broccoli.

PF also has GF soy sauce... but I'm not sure that variety is safe for migraine sufferers. 

When I ordered, they were able to prepare the lettuce wraps as GF.

Sorry, the food available is not the usually mouth-watering "sauce" variety!

@LTT1@Moonchilde

Wasn't referring to a sauce variety, but the absence of a Chinese "crepe," which is a small, round wrapper and very soft it is, too, meant to hold the scrumptuous pork mixture.  To substitute this with a Mexican tortilla was just outright wrong.  And, we had several dishes that were overly oily.  That was my first experience with oily Chinese food, ever.  Just really, really disappointing for such a high priced restaurant.

Esteemed Contributor

My challenge this week will be a follow-up appointment with my interim Internist. on Wednesday  He was extremely off-putting at my first appoitment.  That aside, I now have all of this wonderful new information regarding migraine triggers - MSG, related products, and modified food starches thanks to @LTT1

Since he thinks my migraines are due to TMJ, not sure how he's going to take to this new information.  I just hope to get in and out, within initiating a tension headache.

Also, thanks to @Moonchilde and many others for great input during the last 4 weeks.  This has been a time of great discovery, since my migraines started in July of 1984.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue@sfnative

I was also put on amitryptline AND inderal together... so ravenously hungry AND sleepy. I too gained and wanypted to EAT AND EAT! 

It didn't work

The doctor said "which would you rather have, gaining weight or having migraines?"

I quit seeing that doctor...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@DottieBlue@sfnative

I was also put on amitryptline AND inderal together... so ravenously hungry AND sleepy. I too gained and wanypted to EAT AND EAT! 

It didn't work

The doctor said "which would you rather have, gaining weight or having migraines?"

I quit seeing that doctor...

@LTT1

Boy, do I understand what a drug can do when it turns on the "eat me" center in your brain.  That's what Depakote did to me.  The weight I put on was ridiculous!!!  I swear - it was easier to quit smoking than to try fighting the chemical message sent out by my brain to eat.  Incredible!

I hope none of you out there have to experience this.