Honored Contributor

Re: What to eat at the mall today = Migraine

@sfnative@Moonchilde@mishka14@dex@ECBG

PF CHANG has gluten-free and msg-free menu.

Not a place for an inexpensive meal in a hurry tho, but if you want something prepared, this might be it.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sfnative, since your migraines are so frequent and have triggers that are a PIT* to totally avoid, have you thought of Botox injection? I know it doesn't work for everyone, but maybe worth a try?

@Moonchilde

Yes to Botox.  I received injections from 2009-2011.  However, I developed a resistance to the toxin, so it stopped working.  During those 2 years, I was pain-free.

It's a great and absolutely necessary suggestion for anyone with more than 14 days of migraine pain per month.  Though expensive, it's no longer "off label," so insurance coverage is much better than when I was receiving the injections.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't they always put MSG in Oriental food?   Probably not the best choice when eating out, but then you know that, don't you?   Hope you can get rid of the headache fast.  I feel for you. 

@Kachina624,Not all.  Many are proud of no MSG.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sfnative, since your migraines are so frequent and have triggers that are a PIT* to totally avoid, have you thought of Botox injection? I know it doesn't work for everyone, but maybe worth a try?

@Moonchilde

Yes to Botox.  I received injections from 2009-2011.  However, I developed a resistance to the toxin, so it stopped working.  During those 2 years, I was pain-free.

It's a great and absolutely necessary suggestion for anyone with more than 14 days of migraine pain per month.  Though expensive, it's no longer "off label," so insurance coverage is much better than when I was receiving the injections.

That's a shame, @sfnative :-(

I have a relative (male) who has cluster headaches (mostly a male thing) and suffers terribly. The only thing that really works for him is cafergot - which is almost impossible, or is impossible, to get any more.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I love the salads at Mc Alisters, especially the one with the dried cranberries and sliced almonds.  Loved that one everytime I closed at Belks Fine Jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't they always put MSG in Oriental food?   Probably not the best choice when eating out, but then you know that, don't you?   Hope you can get rid of the headache fast.  I feel for you. 

No, "they" definitely don't, if you mean every restaurant that serves Chinese food. Many if not most have "No MSG" printed prominently on their menus and posted in the business, precisely because they know customers will be much less likely to patronize a business that uses it.

The mall, however ... most mall food of any kind is about cheap ingredients and flavor enhancers, and staffed by minimum wage workers who most likely wouldn't have a clue if asked. So if I knew MSG was a serious migraine trigger for me, I wouldn't get Chinese food at the mall, or remember those uber-cheap Chinese places where it was $3/plate or $1/item? Uuuugh! I'd stick to restaurants I know use no MSG in their Chinese food.

@Moonchilde@Kachina624

In my case, learning that MSG was a trigger just occurred last month - March.  I had had dinner at a newly relocated Chinese restaurant (Cantonese - my favorite) and left with a headache, thinking it was due to the large crowd of us that had gathered, all of the loud talking, etc.  These group dynamics can often bring on a headache, so I thought nothing more of it.

Then 2 weeks later, we were at the mall and I chose an Asian noodle with broccoli and shrimp dish.  Boom!  Headache and the A-ha moment, especially after going up to the line cook and asking if they used MSG.  Follow this 4 days later when my husband had just purchased a huge bag of new "snacks" at Costco.  "Try this stuff out," he asked, so I took enough to fill my palm and ate it.  Within 2 minutes,  Wham!  migraine.  "Give me that freaking bag!" I told my husband and there it was - MSG.

This began a whole lot of research into MSG and related metabolites and products, one of which is modified corn starch and modified food starch, which "lovestoteach" got me interested in.  Seems this is also a trigger.  Can't go near the stuff.

There is more to my migraine profile than this, but having learned that I have these food/chemical triggers is HUGE!

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative@Moonchilde@mishka14@dex@ECBG

PF CHANG has gluten-free and msg-free menu.

Not a place for an inexpensive meal in a hurry tho, but if you want something prepared, this might be it.

@LTT1

Went to eat once at PF Chang and that was it.  I grew up on Cantonese food - the real thing, in San Francisco - and found that numerous dishes in this chain don't add up to authentic.

I ordered Mu Shui Pork.  What was placed in front of me was a pork mess and tortillas.  This is SO wrong.  And, it was greasy.  Chinese cooking is never greasy.  Never been back.  It was the tortillas that did it for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

That's a shame, @sfnative :-(

I have a relative (male) who has cluster headaches (mostly a male thing) and suffers terribly. The only thing that really works for him is cafergot - which is almost impossible, or is impossible, to get any more.

@Moonchilde

Yes, the ergatamine family of drugs, though around for ages, come with some serious side effects in some cases.  I'm unable to take them for other reasons.  Really too bad about your cousin.

There's supposed to be a new drug released at the end of this year.  Wonder if it will be suitable for cluster headaches?  I know nothing about the drug, but have been told this and read about it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @sfnative, MSG is a common migraine trigger. I was not aware it has slipped into so many other packaged foods, and I've learned something there. I have never reacted to MSG, but boy howdy, just one time I had a reaction to the nitrites in ballpark (as in, at a baseball game, not the brand name) hot dogs. Went home and had a headache and itchies, but no actual hives. It was just those dogs though, as it's never happened since with other hot dogs. It was rather creepy, though.

I hope your other triggers don't include red wine or cheese, or chocolate :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Yes, @sfnative, MSG is a common migraine trigger. I was not aware it has slipped into so many other packaged foods, and I've learned something there. I have never reacted to MSG, but boy howdy, just one time I had a reaction to the nitrites in ballpark (as in, at a baseball game, not the brand name) hot dogs. Went home and had a headache and itchies, but no actual hives. It was just those dogs though, as it's never happened since with other hot dogs. It was rather creepy, though.

I hope your other triggers don't include red wine or cheese, or chocolate :-(

@Moonchilde

Man, that was a BAD reaction to the hot dog you had at the ballpark!!!!!!

I don't drink alcohol due to a neuro condition, so red wine is out anyway and I try to stay away from cheese, except for a bit of parm to sprinkle on pasta, which does not initiate a migraine.  Otherwise, I do avoid cheese like the plague.

On Friday, my husband went to Whole Foods and at the Butcher Counter they had cooked samples of a new hamburger mix for meatloaf or making hamburgers.  He said it was out of this world, so purchased enough for 2 burgers.  I could tell the meat had "stuff" in it, which included shreads of some kind of cheese.  So, on Friday evening we had hamburgers for dinner.  Instant migraine.  So...One of my errands this week is to go to that Whole Foods and find out what in the heck they put in that hamburger mixture that initiated a migraine.  (They didn't have a list of ingredients available by the samples and my husband forgot to ask.)