Honored Contributor

Re: What to eat at the mall today = Migraine

We have a McAlisters Deli.  I love their salads!

Honored Contributor

All fast food is suspect for me. I cannot drink milk products. Eggs used to bring on migraines bit don't seem to now.

When we find a restaurant with relatively "clean" food, it is a rare treasure.

i usually do ok with chips and refried beans if I take my enzymes first.

Starting to love salads.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative

"modified food starch" (alias msg) is a killer for me, causing migraines, achy joints and such. It is even in make-up and hair products!

@LTT1

I must really do some reading on this subject, as MSG is not known to me as "modified food starch."  Am seeing it qualified as a food enhancer made from beets.  It not only wreaks havoc with those of us migraineurs with such a sensitivity, but also sends messages to the brain which tells us to "eat more" and provides that umami or 5th taste element.  This is probably why it's so common for folks to gorge on Chinese food: a couple of bites in and the MSG is already lambasting your brain with "eat more" messages.  Such nasty stuff.

Also, found a chemical in popcorn yesterday: TBHQ.  It's found in paint and some cosmetics.  The FDA allows it in food to prevent rancidity, "providing" it is found in quantities <0.02%.  In lab tests, caused malignant tumors in rats.  Ended up throwing those single helping of Orville popcorn in the trash.  Honestly, until yesterday, had never heard of this stuff.

Though I've been a label reading for many years, I'm now functioning at a much higher level.  Thanks for the new info!

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

All fast food is suspect for me. I cannot drink milk products. Eggs used to bring on migraines bit don't seem to now.

When we find a restaurant with relatively "clean" food, it is a rare treasure.

i usually do ok with chips and refried beans if I take my enzymes first.

Starting to love salads.

@LTT1

Found a wonderful list online yesterday on a migraine site and it lists fast food joints and the bad stuff.  Very insightful. 

Now I truly understand the meaning of "clean" food.  Never thought this was something with which I had to be concerned until recently.  Am not liking the fact that the only cheese I was allowing myself, Parm (in my Italian cooking), is now forbidden.  Darn!

Glad to hear you can enjoy salads.  I'm lacking an enzyme or something.  Cannot do lettuce.  Oh, how I wish...

Honored Contributor

@sfnative Have you tried chiropractic,or reiki or some other non traditional avenues.I feel sad to hear that you suffer daily and for so long.I can't imagine how you function because I have had a couple of migraines and that is the worst pain...puts me in bed and there is nothing I can do.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sfnative Have you tried chiropractic,or reiki or some other non traditional avenues.I feel sad to hear that you suffer daily and for so long.I can't imagine how you function because I have had a couple of migraines and that is the worst pain...puts me in bed and there is nothing I can do.

@dex

My migraine patterns includes left hemisphere and includes a trigger point at the base of my skull, left of center.  The pain also courses through my left frontal sinue, spikes down my left eye, then makes a left turn through my maxillagy sinus.  There is also a vertical temporal lacerating pain element.  On bad days, have numbness in my left cheek toward my mouth.

It's complicated, as was its commencement.  I don't have typical migraines.  I have days with low level pain, then days where it spike up to a high level and can stay there for days or weeks.

Recently finding out that MSG is a trigger was a blessing!  I've been able to discover so few triggers, it's been frustrating.  And, it seems modified corn starch may be one as well.

I've not gone the way of chiropractic or reiki because my condition is neurological or neuro/vascular and, frankly, don't believe either discipline can affect a biochemical change to end this 33 + year migraine headache.  Believe me, if there's something out there that can affect a biochemical change, I'm all over it.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative It is surprising what a good chiropractor can do though.A friend had bouts of dizziness from an inner ear problem and after three sessions they went away.The chiropractor she saw is amazing. he lives in Washington State and is flown all over to golphing tournaments to help keep the pros pain free.

You sure have a lot of problems that I wish could be helped.One thing I need to tell you is drink a lot of water.My son gets sports migraine which cause numbness like you described and other stroke like symptoms.The first time he had one he was eight years old playing in a hockey tournament.He felt numb down his left side and asked all of the boys to hit him because he couldn't feel a thing.The coach brought him out to me and he couldn't speak properly or remember what he had for breakfast.He said it was too brice outside and I asked him if he meant bright...light bothered him although it was cloudy.Long story but it turned out to be a dehydration migraine.He always has to remember to drink a lot of water or he will have another one.

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@dex wrote:

@dex

My migraine patterns includes left hemisphere and includes a trigger point at the base of my skull, left of center.  The pain also courses through my left frontal sinue, spikes down my left eye, then makes a left turn through my maxillagy sinus.  There is also a vertical temporal lacerating pain element.  On bad days, have numbness in my left cheek toward my mouth.

It's complicated, as was its commencement.  I don't have typical migraines.  I have days with low level pain, then days where it spike up to a high level and can stay there for days or weeks.

Recently finding out that MSG is a trigger was a blessing!  I've been able to discover so few triggers, it's been frustrating.  And, it seems modified corn starch may be one as well.

I've not gone the way of chiropractic or reiki because my condition is neurological or neuro/vascular and, frankly, don't believe either discipline can affect a biochemical change to end this 33 + year migraine headache.  Believe me, if there's something out there that can affect a biochemical change, I'm all over it.

Hi,  I so feel for all of you with migrains....I stared around 10 with mine and only the last couple of years have finally not had any....I am now 71....so almost 60 years of suffering.

I belive mine had a lot to do with hormones too,  since I am now done with menapause they have stopped.   I would get them every month, sometimes twice a month.  I missed a lot of school and days at work... many a days spent vomiting and wishing I could just die.    Today there are so many meds to try,  but back in the 50's & 60's the Doctors just said take aspirin...which did nothing....just made me vomit more.

Praying for all of you who now are still suffering with such awful pain....

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't they always put MSG in Oriental food?   Probably not the best choice when eating out, but then you know that, don't you?   Hope you can get rid of the headache fast.  I feel for you. 

No, "they" definitely don't, if you mean every restaurant that serves Chinese food. Many if not most have "No MSG" printed prominently on their menus and posted in the business, precisely because they know customers will be much less likely to patronize a business that uses it.

The mall, however ... most mall food of any kind is about cheap ingredients and flavor enhancers, and staffed by minimum wage workers who most likely wouldn't have a clue if asked. So if I knew MSG was a serious migraine trigger for me, I wouldn't get Chinese food at the mall, or remember those uber-cheap Chinese places where it was $3/plate or $1/item? Uuuugh! I'd stick to restaurants I know use no MSG in their Chinese food.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sfnative, since your migraines are so frequent and have triggers that are a PIT* to totally avoid, have you thought of Botox injection? I know it doesn't work for everyone, but maybe worth a try?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all