Respected Contributor

Re: What’s your preference and why…MD or OD doctor?

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I've had only internal medicine MDs since about 1992, when my family practice doc left to join another practice.  I've been quite pleased. 

I had been seeing the family practice guy for heavy periods for several years & when I changed to an internist, I asked her about it.  She referred me to an OB/GYN, who at 1st thought it was fibroids causing my issues, but after a hysteroscopy, determined that I had very early stage uterine cancer.  I had a hysterectomy in 1993 & have been fine ever since & I was sold on internal med docs.

An "internal medicine doctor" can be an MD or a DO. It simple means they only treat people 18 or over as opposed to a Family Practice doctor treat from birth and over, Pediatrician doctors treat from birth to 18 generally. All can be MD or DO. Surgeons can be MD or DO ( last one surprised me when I got in the biz). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Or do you have both?  Do you NEED both?  I'm changing to an osteopathic doctor because my sister goes to one and she seems to get more care for her whole body.  Her doctor recommends a lot of vitamins instead of just medication.

Thanks!

@Mmsfoxxie   Dr.s that are DO are not always accepted into certain schools.  I have had very bad experiences with DO's.  Where I lived before in Pa they were not allowed to be in tha main hospital.  They had their own hospital.  I had two DO's since living in Florida and I will never go to another one.   MD all the way for me. 

Valued Contributor

My son in law is in the medical field and I asked him this very question years ago when I was looking for a new doctor after mine retired. He told me the “title” of MD or DO didn’t necessarily mean one was better than another. He said he has colleagues in both fields and that their training (where they went to school and completed their residency) has much more to do with the type of treatment you’ll receive. So bottom line, either can be a great doctor but the title is less important than their learning experience. Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I went to a DO, she was awful! Totally misdiagnosed me in a BIG way. Maybe it was just that one doctor, but I stick with MD's. 

I believe there are good DO's and bad DO"s, same for MD's.  Back in 2001 my doctor was a DO.  I convinced my DH who avoided any doctor to see him.  As soon as the dr. listened to DH's heart he got on the phone with a cardiologist who wanted to see DH that day.  Long story short, he had emergency by pass surgery (6 by passes, including the "widow maker".  He lived another 17 years!  

So, prompt action by the DO saved my husband's life.  Years ago my gynocologist was an MD.  Nice guy.  Then I needed surgery.  Turned out he could not perform the surgery because he was prohibited from doing so by the medical board.  So, MD or DO, good or bad in each.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wow!  These comments have been so helpful, not to mention the couple of funny/embarrassing ones, lol.  I'm so appreciative of your help.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

There's not any real difference.  They both do 4 years of medical or osteopathic medical school, they do the same internships/residencies/fellowships.  The only difference is osteopathic physicians take a wholistic approach to medicine.  There are far fewer osteopathic physicians so I have never had an opportunity to see one.  The hospital I worked for has several.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Or do you have both?  Do you NEED both?  I'm changing to an osteopathic doctor because my sister goes to one and she seems to get more care for her whole body.  Her doctor recommends a lot of vitamins instead of just medication.

Thanks!

You don't need both. They each practice as primary care doctors.

Osteopaths treat the whole person--both mind and body. I see one too, and I think that they seem to be more open to alternative ways of treatment. They do know about nutrition and supplements.

Honored Contributor

My primary care physician is a DO.  I like the fact that he isn't prescription happy.  I don't take pills and he prefers not to prescribe them anyway. 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn  Agree.  I don't even know what OD stands for.  

Trusted Contributor

I have been to all three and I don't think the letters behind the name made any difference.  You have to evaluate the individual doctor and the care YOU receive.  I currently get my primary care from a PA and she's the best provider I have ever had.