Respected Contributor

Re: What’s in Your Hospital Bag?

oh just to add the hospital gave a small washtub packed with roll-on deodorant, toothpaste/toothbrush, mouthwash,  hand lotion, small soap and shampoo. i brought my own tooth supplies,  though. 

my long hair got horribly tangled after my C-Spine surgery.  i was sent to nursing home rehab after the hospital where after a few days i got to shower and shampoo but they had no conditioner!  took a long time to get the knots out with a small comb.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I don't have any advice about the hospital because I'm clueless. haha

I just want to say that I'm so glad to hear that you are getting this taken care of soon!

Wishing you well and sending healing vibes and prayers for a very successful surgery and recovery! Heart

@Desert Lily 

What a terrible shock for your SIL and you all! I can't imagine this happening while at a store. Bless yall's hearts!

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.Heart

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

oh just to add the hospital gave a small washtub packed with roll-on deodorant, toothpaste/toothbrush, mouthwash,  hand lotion, small soap and shampoo. i brought my own tooth supplies,  though. 

my long hair got horribly tangled after my C-Spine surgery.  i was sent to nursing home rehab after the hospital where after a few days i got to shower and shampoo but they had no conditioner!  took a long time to get the knots out with a small comb.

I'd always been given the wash basin containing the same items.  But the last time I was in the hospital I was shocked to not have received these things.  Fortunately, I had put most of these things in my bag.  Maybe it was just a fluke.  I sure hope it's not the new trend.

Respected Contributor

@On It  I think your concerns are spot on. My brother said late last night that he was numb; that her stroke hasn't sunk in yet. He has always been a loner & delved into work. Even though we're 1,000 miles apart, I'm closest to my brother & we text & email almost daily. He has a son that lives closer but has rarely been around. I'll keep checking with my brother to make sure he's okay.

Frequent Contributor

Best wishes for your full recovery.  Beware of using free hospital wifi which is definitely a security risk.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Lot of good advice on here.  For me I would bring the bare minimum so you don't have to worry about gathering too much "stuff" when you are discharged as that can be an event in itself.  I do wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery.

@Desert Lily Sad news regarding your SIL.  Wishing her the best and praying she recovers soon.  

Regular Contributor

I bring my phone and a charger.  Then have someone bring my "hospital pillow".  Trust me it's a life saver.  I first did it years ago when I had a long stay.  Since then I have used the same pillow every time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan345   lol, I have a hospital pillow too.  I thought I was the only one.😃. Those flat, plastic covered pillows the hospital provides are the worst!  Uncomfortable and make you sweat like crazy!

Contributor

Good luck with your hospital stay.  Sometimes people have their rooms changed so label your chargers etc that might get left behind. Like with small address labels. 

Esteemed Contributor

At least two sets of clean underwear. Hairbrush, dental floss, cosmetics, eye drops, tooth paste, tooth brush, deodorant and a plastic bag to put soiled clothes.