Honored Contributor

What’s in Your Hospital Bag?

I am officially on the surgical schedule in a few weeks - 2/12/24. I will likely be in the hospital anywhere from 2-5 days. Things are different now than they used to be. Now we have devices and daily use necessities.

Can I bring an iPad? Phone?  Can I use an outlet in my room for a charger?  I wear hearing aids and need them all the time. They'll need daily charging too. How about a favorite blanket, is that allowed?  

Any guidelines one what I can bring and what must be left at home would be appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What’s in Your Hospital Bag?

I think you can bring whatever you want. A nice warm robe because those hospitals are freezing and foot socks are a must. My friend was hospitalized and had her cell phone and Ipad. For me, if I left the room for tests I would want to make sure those were hidden away. Good luck to you @JeanLouiseFinch 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I took my laptop, phone, fave pillow/blanket, SALT (hospital food uses NO salt!) and  anything else I wanted not long ago.

Of course PJ's, robe, slippers, etc. too.

Honored Contributor

Contact someone from the hospital and ask them. There's so many different places and different rules. Some want you to just use their things, so they know they are medically acceptable to them.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I was wondering the same thing just last night.

My SIL had a serious stroke last night while at a big box store. The doctor was able to dissolve a large part of the blood clot in her brain but not all of it, so the concern is she could have a 2nd stroke. The next 2 days are critical. He doesn't know how long she'll be in the hospital.

My brother asked me what he should bring to the hospital for her. I told him a robe, socks, underpants(?), her own toiletries; but not to worry about it until she is out of intensive care & in a regular room. (She is unable to communicate & not good yet, so electronics are out)

I think she could use prayers.

Trusted Contributor

A copy of my advance directive.

Regular Contributor

I just got out of the hospital, ended up there by surprise.  If I had known I would be in the hospital I would have left all of my jewelry home.  I had a procedure I was not expecting, and it was very early in the morning, my family was at home unaware.  I was told to take my rings and earrings off.  I hid them the best I could and thankfully did not lose them.

So, in addition to what you should bring, leave your jewelry home.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily Bless her heart!!!💖 I am SO very sorry to read of your DSIL's stroke❤, and am sending prayers of support to YOU and your DB🙏🙏!❤ May God surround your DSIL with his loving arms of HEALING and comfort.🙏🙏 I hope she recovers quickly, and will soon be home in the loving care of her loved ones!!!🤞🤞❤🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily -How scary!  I will definitely pray. 🙏 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily  I said a prayer for your SIL. I think your list of things was good. The only thing I would add is houseslippers. The socks didn't keep my feet very warm when I could sit and they got so dirty I hated to get into bed with them. My houseslippers kept them clean.