Super Contributor

What's good to use for stubborn cough that won't leave?!?

[ Edited ]

I have had some kind of cough/cold for about a week now. Started as sore throat, watery eyes, runny nose, and a cough. The cough lingers now and feels like I have some kind of junk/phlegm deep in my throat or even my chest, that I just can't bring up. I cough and I feel a little tickle deep, but it is stubborn and won't come up or go down. I also had a bad sore throat years ago that left my tonsils blown up and my airway narrowed, so that is fun, and maybe why the junk is having trouble 'coming up'..

What is good to expectorate this junk..? I've tried Mucinex and various cough syrup/expectorants.. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What's good to use for stubborn cough that won't leave?!?

You should see your doctor. If you still have symptoms of a cold after 7 days. You probably need antibiotics at this point.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had any real success with OTC cough medicine. Try going to your doctor and get a prescription cough syrup to bring up all of that junk.

Respected Contributor

One more time:  SEE YOUR DOCTOR.  

Esteemed Contributor

See your doctor,  I do agree with that. 

But until you get there... use Delsym--- orange box.  Bit pricey but worked for me.

Honored Contributor

I also would say you probably need to see your doctor.  Who knows what the cough is from.  It could be a lingering cold, it could be allergies, it could be a sinus drainage issue or it could be something else.

As an aside, last year I had a cold that started with a sore throat and then moved into a full on chest cold.  Just when my nose unstuffed and I started to feel better, I got a terrible, super dry cough.  I had gone through a bottle of Delysm and another cough medicine and went to the doctor.  He gave me those little pearl things.  I took them faithfully and they did nothing.  Someone told me to try Mucinex and that is what finally cleared my cough up but I had it for months. 

Respected Contributor

You could make a hot tea with fresh lemons and organic honey.  That might help.  Drink several cups through the day

Coughs can really linger.   Sometimes you need a prescription cough medicine 

Super Contributor

Please see your doctor, this is nothing to fool around with.

Honored Contributor

@msh8970 it sounds like bronchitis....go to your doctor and get a zpack!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Although I probably would go to the doctors, I always found that echinea in combination with Breathe Easy Tea (Traditional Medicinals) worked better for  me than anything any doctor ever prescribed including many different antibiotics, inhalers and prescription cough meds.  I know what I'm talking about since I had bronchitis 10 years in a row and while I was listening to doctors lasted all winter and into spring but with taking echinea 3 times a day and the tea every day 2 or 3 times a day everything cleared up fast.