Trusted Contributor

Re: What really works for SLEEP???

Ambien (zolpidem tartrate)
Medical marijuana

Not saying they’re appropriate for you, but they work.
Respected Contributor

I wish I could offer some tips and tricks that work!  I can tell you I have tried nearly everything the other ladies suggested here and none have worked for me.  I have never used prescription sleeping pills or medical marijuana.

I have had unrefreshed sleep and waking up many times during the night due to pain...or needing to go potty.  If I drank a glass of milk before bedtime I would be up to use potty at least 2 times LOL! and I have tried many different magnesium supplements....I still sleep poorly and am very tired all day long.

I have mentioned this to doctors but nobody really has a solution...keep doing what you are doing they say...or one did give a script for Amiben but I never filled that.

I am seeing a different doctor about hormones....maybe there is something here in the bio-identical hormones that is off and can be corrected.  

Respected Contributor

I've tried everything out there and the thing that works best for me (and it doesn't work 100% of the time) is reading when I go to bed until I can't keep my eyes open, which usually takes 15-30 minutes.  When it works, I'm usually asleep in less than 5 minutes after putting my kindle down.  I'd say it works for me 80% of the time.  Last night it didn't work and I was still awake at 3am and then finally I managed to get a couple hours sleep but I'm dragging today.

Honored Contributor

If you go to Google & type ‘why do I wake up at 3am’,

there are a TON of hits saying one of 3 things (for women):

-Rise in cortisol 

-Drop in estrogen 

-Drop in blood sugar

Out of those 3 things, the blood sugar is probably the most concerning.

Pre-diabetes, unmanaged blood sugars...is not good. Sweating can also

mean low blood sugar, as well as estrogen.  And these things can also

trigger urination, as well.  It’s like your body is screaming at you,

pleading for help.  Don’t mask or ignore. 

Trusted Contributor

I hear you. I am in my mid 60’s and have the same problem. I recently picked up 

Natrol Melatonin from Costco. It’s 100% drug free. I take 1 20 minutes before I go to bed and it works wonderfully.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@spent2much   I know what works for me whether I have a cough or not - a good shot of nyquil always puts me out for the night.

Don't know if this is a good ting or a bad thing...

It works for me, also!  I always used Nyquil but now I use ZzzQuil and works like a charm.  I have no side effects the next day either.  

Esteemed Contributor

@MissMadi wrote

It works for me, also!  I always used Nyquil but now I use ZzzQuil and works like a charm.  I have no side effects the next day either.  

@MissMadi   My husband swears by this also.  He is not a pill-taker and would rather stay awake all night than take medication.  He heard about Zzzquil and takes it faithfully.  He says it takes about 10-15 minutes to take effect and he gets a good night's sleep and wakes up refreshed.  If he has to get up during the night, he isn't stumbling around.  He goes right back to bed and is breathing peacefully in a matter of minutes.  For him, it's a blessing.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@MissMadi wrote

@MissMadi   My husband swears by this also.  He is not a pill-taker and would rather stay awake all night than take medication.  He heard about Zzzquil and takes it faithfully.  He says it takes about 10-15 minutes to take effect and he gets a good night's sleep and wakes up refreshed.  If he has to get up during the night, he isn't stumbling around.  He goes right back to bed and is breathing peacefully in a matter of minutes.  For him, it's a blessing.

@sophiamarie  .... I'm not a pillpopper either and it is fast-working as your DH states.  It's a blessing for me, too!  

Esteemed Contributor

If I can't fall asleep in an hour or little more I get my melatonin. It works but it says occasional sleep so I wonder if any bad effects. I also take an an anxiety pill and half of one for my heart at night.

Contributor

a marijuana cigarette should help-and you'll have no grogginess the next morning