Respected Contributor

What really works for SLEEP???

I've been having an awful time getting to sleep at night and waking several times during the night.  I've tried Melatonin, MidNite, Sleep Fairy, Benadryl, Unisom, etc., etc.  NOTHING really works to make me sleepy.  And nothing helps me sleep through the night.  Has anyone found anything that really works?  TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Re: What really works for SLEEP???

[ Edited ]

Respectfully, this is something that you really must speak to your physician about, particularly if you wish to take medication to help you sleep. 

What works for some, doesn't work for others and could be dangerous. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

Have you tried spraying lavender oil on your pillow . I have heard this works . 

Esteemed Contributor

If you have a tv in your bedroom try tuning in to QVC. That should put you to sleep.

Contributor

Actually QVC actually works for me. Regular tv programming grabs my attention unless It’s a rerun. The difference is QVC is monotone.....regular programming gets very loud during commercials then back to normal. I was joking with my son about QVC putting me to sleep and he said he had been using it as a sleep aid for years.

i ‘ve tried music but the sound varies so it doesn’t work so well for me.

i’ve had Insomnia for years and QVC works better than over the counter sleep aids. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, exercise helps me a lot. I have to wear earplugs at night to fall asleep and to keep me from waking up to sounds around my neighborhood. I'm sensitive to noise and that keeps me from falling asleep and staying asleep. I sleep in a pitch-black room with no electronics on or have any type of lights on electronic devices lit up. I put black tape on my cable box light and on my TV power light. There's black-out curtains on my window to keep out the neighbor's porch lights and street lamps from entering. I have a fan blowing in the room, not facing me but in the room, blowing to create slight air movement to keep me comfortable. If any of these things are missing then I find it difficult to fall asleep.

ETA - I go to sleep and wake up at almost the exact same time each day...almost to the minute and I don't use an alarm clock.

Respected Contributor

@Blueridge Liz wrote:

Actually QVC actually works for me. Regular tv programming grabs my attention unless It’s a rerun. The difference is QVC is monotone.....regular programming gets very loud during commercials then back to normal. I was joking with my son about QVC putting me to sleep and he said he had been using it as a sleep aid for years.

i ‘ve tried music but the sound varies so it doesn’t work so well for me.

i’ve had Insomnia for years and QVC works better than over the counter sleep aids. 

Lol,QVC is the opposite for me.  Too many loud, obnoxious, cackling hosts and guests on there!

Respected Contributor

I do best when I:

1.  Get up pretty early...between 6-7 am (I’m retired, so that’s early now!)

2.  Go to bed by 11 at the latest,

3.  Have a small fan running in the bedroom (I like the air moving, and the sound is sort of like “white noise” to me.

4.  Don’t nap during the day.

5.  Get some exercise during the day.  

if I vary from that, I inevitably don’t sleep well.

Contributor

QVC is very mellow after midnight......seems the hosts change when they switch to prime time. Guess more pressure to sell, sell. I usually mute during the day but after midnight I turn the sound on low. 

Contributor

I walk a mile every morning then a half mile after  dinner. I put my iPad away several hours before trying to sleep. I also run a ceiling fan 12 months a year. Last night I woke up at 4:00 am and laid awake until DH woke up....then turned on QVC and went back to sleep.