Esteemed Contributor

What over the counter medicine do you find works the best?

In the middle of the night I woke up with pain around the bone near my thumb and palm. The only thing I could find this morning was Aleve. It worked for a few minutes.  Kind of rough when you are mostly left handed.

Honored Contributor

Re: What over the counter medicine do you find works the best?

@halfpint1 Hi Ms Halfpint - I would ask first if you have osteo arthritis.  If you do, perhaps it's flared up really badly on you.  I'm a lefty but I do have osteo in both hands, for me it's a genetic thing.

Actally not long ago my osteo flared up SO badly in my right hand I could barely use it.  I had an online chat with my Dr and he prescribed Meloxicam 15mg for me.  This is the first time my osteo was this bad.  In the past the only OTC I take for anything is 2 500 mg regular aspirin.  This 99.9% does the trick for me regardless why I'm taking it.

The new script from my Dr certainly did the trick in a matter of moments, just one tab.  I took one more the very next day, pain totally gone, right hand as back to normal as it ever is.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1, I have osteoarthritis in my hands plus in my left hand I have carpal tunnel (confirmed) and basal joint arthritis which is horribly painful.  I use Alleve and it just takes the edge off.

If yours continues and worsens, please see your Doctor.. Mr. Arthur can be very painful.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks PinkDogwood. I am writing the name down for I go to the doctor soon. My leg is bothering me too. Last year I had a back operation and a doctor took the arthritis out but who knows if this is permanent.

Respected Contributor

I don't have any symptom of arthritis just now, but have had it in a couple of finges in the past. Not a constant problem, thank goodness. However, when I have any sort of pain - headache, joints, etc. ADVIL works best for me, and I think I've tried them all.  Aleve takes a bit of the edge off and lasts longer, but I really prefer the ADVIL liquid gels 90% of the time.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 I hear you with back & leg/knee problems.  We could compare scars from surgeries it sounds like!  I have one from herniated disc in '96, very lucky for me, no further flare ups there.

Then about 5 yrs ago, I had my right knee scoped, repaired from torn meniscus, cleaned out the arthritis there too but my knees still hurt, sometimes really bad, other times just bad LOL.  I've so inherited both parents' worth of arth so I know it's no picnic. 

I feel your aches & pains!  Take care of yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD   You say you take "two 500 mg. "regular" aspirin?   Regular aspirin is 325 mg.  What you are taking are extra strength aspirin.    So, you are taking 1,000 mg. of aspirin at a time.  You do realize that aspirin is a blood thinner.  Please be mindful of the dosage.  HTH

Honored Contributor

Right on @sophiamarie Ms Jobran - I do know this and I realize I shold just take one but know this of me, I SO RARELY even take aspirin for anything I'm not too concerned.

I've never been a 'pill' taker, never will be.  For me to even take an aspirin I almost need to be walking the death line. 

I really do appreciate your concern.

Trusted Contributor

Try tart cherry juice concentrate mixed with water, works great!

Honored Contributor

@halfpint wrote:

In the middle of the night I woke up with pain around the bone near my thumb and palm. The only thing I could find this morning was Aleve. It worked for a few minutes.  Kind of rough when you are mostly left handed.

I had to read a few comments to determine what you meant was a recommendation for a pain reliever.      I find aspirin works best for me, or the "migrane" formula which is a combination of aspirin and acetominaphen in equal doses.

For anyone who deals with arthritis on a regular basis, I highly recommend Aspercreme.    It is unscented, absorbs quickly  and really makes a difference