Valued Contributor

Re: What makes you stay awake at night

My darn hot flashes keep me up! Otherwise, I would sleep like a baby!

Respected Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

I could be dead tired but the minute I get into bed pain starts, usually in my leg.  I have a chronic condition so there's not too much I can do about it.  Sometimes I'm kept up thinking why people in my life are the way they are.  If there's anything I haven't tried to change it and then the hopelessness sets in.  At times I feel like I'm spending my life just waiting to live my true life.

I think everyone feels that way sometimes.  Few, if any, get everything they want.  Even those who seem to have it all aren't living on Easy Street.  As an example, after the death of Mrs. Reagan I read an article in the Daily Mail about her daughter's autiobiography.  I won't repeat what she wrote here, but I can only say I was shocked.  My idea of their home life was very different from what I read about in that article.  I apologize to those who are fans of that family (as I am) for using this as an example, but it is fresh in my mind and the contrast between myth and reality was particularly stark.

All the best, ANewHue.  Life is hardly perfect for so many people.

Esteemed Contributor

@ANewHue, your post is so poignant. I wish I had some wise words to uplift you, but I fail to find them. When everything is stripped away, please remember that you are loved in spirit. Blessings upon you.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I sleep like a baby; fall asleep quickly and stay asleep.   On my own, I have NO problems sleeping.  

Except, when my husbands c-pap mask leaks air, and when our youngest daughter is home, as she is up all night and sleeps all day, because of her work schedule.   

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Wondering how much of my stomachache is related to my diet, to the foods I eat that were "insecticided" or "fungicided" in China or by some local chemical company or whether it is caused from my worry about such.

@Nonametoday Are you saying that you can't sleep because you are sick to your stomach?

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Wondering how much of my stomachache is related to my diet, to the foods I eat that were "insecticided" or "fungicided" in China or by some local chemical company or whether it is caused from my worry about such.

@Nonametoday Are you saying that you can't sleep because you are sick to your stomach?

I have chronic pancreatitis and therefore, my stomach hurts more than most.  I take Prilosec, Carafate and occasionally H2 blockers and enzymes before meals but even so, I get stomachache and I often wonder, given all the preventive care, if maybe the toxins in our foods or chemicals, MSG, etc, make my belly ache or is it just the worry about why it was a bit painful when I retired and my worry made it worse.

Honored Contributor

If I miss my "sleep window," (between 10 and 11:30 PM), I can have trouble falling asleep.  Also if have to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I will sometimes have trouble falling back to sleep.

Otherwise my circadian rythym is pretty regular and I get around eight hours of sleep every night.  It's one of the few things that works well for me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Arianna Huffington has a new book out on sleep deprivation and how significant it is to all of us to get adequate sleep.  She was on Bill Maher's show last night and they discussed it.  She raised some very good points.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I feel bad to hear you say this , Its so sad, . If you are alone maybe you should ask your doctor for something for depression . Do you have any family ? If you feel like this everynight and cry your self to sleep you need to see your doctor so he can help you , Perhaps youjust need to go to a therapy group so you can have someone to talk to , If you are greiving the loss of a family member or pet there are always those who have been through this and can help you by listening , Your reaching out to us here is a sign thet you need someone, Anyway we are here and can listen ,

love cathy from ma 

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes my worrying keeps me awake or wakes me up and I feel like the adrenaline in my body is super high.  I have high stress right now and there is no end in site with it; I got up at 4am the other night, wide awake.  I fall asleep early out of exhaustion I think and wake up only after a few hours.  It's awful but not as bad as being awake from physical pain.