Valued Contributor

Re: What makes you stay awake at night

Honored Contributor

When I was working and living on my own it was emotional stress, physical pain and noisy neighbors. Now it's mostly physical things - not great pain, but arthritis, aches and pains, sleeping (physically) wrong, hormones long past time - too hot, too cold, gotta get up and pee due to meds - and where I used to mostly sleep through the night, now I might wake in the wee hours and stay awake - then fall asleep again & wake at 10 a.m. Frustrating.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Sometimes worry gets the best of me.  I try to have a regular bedtime routine, which helps.  I take a cool shower and get comfortable. 

The key for me to getting a good night's sleep is sleeping in a cool room.  I cannot sleep when I'm hot - winter or summer.

Honored Contributor

I have to watch TV to go to sleep.  But not these murder/rape/gruesome crime shows and NO NEWS!!!

It has to be something *stupid* like the Golden Girls or the Odd Couple.

Heck, there are even GG episodes I can't watch (Rose awaits an AIDS test results---ugh)!

If something stressful is going on in my life, I watch TV, but if I wake up during the night, I pray myself back to sleep.

Respected Contributor

Sweating a bunch and urinating a lot.

Trusted Contributor

What makes me stay awake at night?

Name it, it's always there.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Wondering how much of my stomachache is related to my diet, to the foods I eat that were "insecticided" or "fungicided" in China or by some local chemical company or whether it is caused from my worry about such.

@Nonametoday

Is it possible for you to switch to organic food (at least as much as possible)?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

I could be dead tired but the minute I get into bed pain starts, usually in my leg.  I have a chronic condition so there's not too much I can do about it.  Sometimes I'm kept up thinking why people in my life are the way they are.  If there's anything I haven't tried to change it and then the hopelessness sets in.  At times I feel like I'm spending my life just waiting to live my true life.

Your nic, @ANewHue,  is so hopeful and positive that I'm sure at heart you are a survivor. 

I think many of us may feel like our real lives are not what we're living at the moment.  Just today I though about starting a thread to ask whether we feel we are or have been living up to our full potential.  Then  I thought it might be too depressing.  On the other hand, it might be good to chat about it.

Have you taken some practical steps such as maybe taking magnesium at bedtime to help with the leg pain?  If it's at all kind of like a cramp, magnesium really helps.

I have a chronic condition, too, and am always looking for things to help that have few to (hopefully) no side effects. 

And then there's meditation and exercise.  Those two things definitely help.  I know I need to do them a lot more.  Even if someone can't exercise for whatever reason, meditation can be done in any position and at any time of day.

I'm sending you positive thoughts.  Lack of sleep just exaggerates any "badness" in our lives, as we all know.

Honored Contributor

If I drink caffeine after 2 p.m., it doesn't keep me awake, but it wakes me up at about 3 a.m. and then I can't go back to sleep for hours.  So I make myself switch to decaf tea or herb tea (actually I really like both of those so it's not a hardship).

It took me a long time to realize that this was the reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

I could be dead tired but the minute I get into bed pain starts, usually in my leg.  I have a chronic condition so there's not too much I can do about it.  Sometimes I'm kept up thinking why people in my life are the way they are.  If there's anything I haven't tried to change it and then the hopelessness sets in.  At times I feel like I'm spending my life just waiting to live my true life.

Your nic, @ANewHue,  is so hopeful and positive that I'm sure at heart you are a survivor. 

I think many of us may feel like our real lives are not what we're living at the moment.  Just today I though about starting a thread to ask whether we feel we are or have been living up to our full potential.  Then  I thought it might be too depressing.  On the other hand, it might be good to chat about it.

Have you taken some practical steps such as maybe taking magnesium at bedtime to help with the leg pain?  If it's at all kind of like a cramp, magnesium really helps.

I have a chronic condition, too, and am always looking for things to help that have few to (hopefully) no side effects. 

And then there's meditation and exercise.  Those two things definitely help.  I know I need to do them a lot more.  Even if someone can't exercise for whatever reason, meditation can be done in any position and at any time of day.

I'm sending you positive thoughts.  Lack of sleep just exaggerates any "badness" in our lives, as we all know.

@GingerPeach wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@GingerPeach  I really appreciate you for reaching out and taking the time to write such a kind post.  You are a very thoughtful person.  I suffer with fibromyalgia.  I did try magnesium and it didn't help much.  I do exercise as much as I can when I am able to.  As for the your post, my answer would have to be no I'm not living up to my potential and that's the sad part.  I have very few days that I feel like I'm actually me and I want to do everything and we know that's impossible.  Thanks again, I really appreciated reading your post.