Honored Contributor

What kind of brace for burning arch pain, the bottom of the foot?

This appears to be a tendon issue, burning pain on the bottom of the arch near the heel.  A brace is recommended, but checking Amazon, etc., I'm confused what to order.  Some just seem to be a simple elastic band, others have some sort of gel sac that would fit under the arch.  Has anyone had personal experience with this?  There's always the doctor, but when I had a tendon issue in another spot, she fitted me with a brace.  I'm trying to avoid the expense of a visit unless its absolutely necessary. 

Regular Contributor

Re: What kind of brace for burning arch pain, the bottom of the foot?

It sounds possible you may have heal spurs and there is inflamation.  If your shoes don't have proper arch support, the plantar facia can become irritated, which on my feet was a burning feeling pain.   You may want to look up about heal spurs.

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised your Dr didn't tell you what to get.  I would definitely get in touch with him or her for recs.

Honored Contributor

Why do people come here instead of going to a qualified doctor? The podiatrist can tell you exactly what needs to be done.

Valued Contributor

My doctor recommended a insert called Superfeet to help me. He said that brand was much better than the store brands. You can get them for all sorts of different problems. I checked Amazon, but my local hospital health equipment store was about the same price, I didn't have to pay shipping, and I could check to be sure I had the right size before paying for the set. And, I agree with everyone else, See your doctor. That is what I did, and whenever there is a sort of medical problem, the doctor that specializes in whatever field you need is the best place to start.

Honored Contributor

@depglass

Has the ring of Plantar Faciitis, which for many, runs the full length of the foot, heel to toe. Had it several times, but I doubt what I did to resolve mine, you would want to follow.  Many of this forum have numerous opinions and have experienced what worked for them. Probably less time consuming and less painful than what worked and still works for me. No, it is not a brace.

Also have a foot issue right now. Thursday my Foot Orthopod surgically removed the toenail of my Left Big Toe, which also included some bone. Can't walk without a slight limp(yes it hurts), but once I got my foot into my ice skate yesterday, it didn't effect my skating. Getting my skate off of that swelled up toe?  Not very easy and did include some pain. Did the same with my Plantar Faciitis issues, except it involved my running, not ice skating. 

Hope what others suggest might help you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Ewww. You had to respond, didn't you? LOL 

Hope it sounds more wicked that it was and you are on the mend. I gather the toenail had to be removed to get to the bone (which must have been causing the problem). Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Keep skating, John!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@depglass  When you get out of bed in the morning, does it feel like you are walking on glass and then the more you walk, the pain starts to get less?  If so, sounds like Plantar Faciitis.  You can google and get all the details.

One of the pre-surgery options was to wear a foot brace for a few weeks to see if that works.  It didn't work for me, but if you have one, I would give it a try. Mine was purchased through my insurance, but I see them online for as low as $39.   Just search "foot brace"

10a1301-broken-foot-walking-boot-with-velcro-straps_800x (1).jpg

Foot pain is awful, it affects pretty much everything you do.  I wish you the best. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@151949  To answer your question about "I'm not sure why people ask for medical advice from here instead of going to a doctor".  Maybe because their funds are limited for doctors visits and they are looking for possible reasons for their pain.   If someone here has experienced the same symptoms, and can provide help or suggestions, perhaps they can get some relief.

I agree, the doctor is the best resource for advice, but for some, that isn't really an option.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

OK folks, here's why I'm not running to the doctor immediately.  This week I traveled 125 miles one way for the final check on my recent sinus surgery.  Then Friday I went to local doc 30 miles away for UTI treatment.  I also made phone contact with another doctor's office that regulates my warfarin after I do my own finger stick. Temporarily sick of running to doctors.  Of course if my brace theory doesn't work I will be seeing my ortho doc.  I'm one of these fortunate people who has Medicare and supplemental insurance, so money isn't the issue here.  I'm one of those people that should have been on the old Are you falling apart? thread.