Honored Contributor

What is the scam? It must be a scam

You know those ads on TV that promise all the additional medicare benefits to you, including a refund of your monthly payment?  I just got a call on this, starting with two people from a foreign country, a third with much better English, and a fourth, a woman who was supposedly a licensed insurance agent.  I proceeded cautiously out of curiosity until she asked me for my Medicare number.  I told her I'm not giving out that number to anyone and we might as well end the call, at that point she agreed and terminated the call.  What are these people doing?  Selling people an insurance plan that supposedly is better than what they have now?  Using that number to bill the government for God knows what?  Or are they on the level?  

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the scam? It must be a scam

Very questionable concerns.  Preying on the elderly.  I'm not about to find out.

Trusted Contributor

I'd bet any amount of money that was a scam. 

Honored Contributor

Those are Medicare "Advantage" Plans, administered by private insurance companies.    

Google for info......too complicated to describe in brief.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Rule...never purchase anything from  anyone that contacts you, you should start the process yourself

Honored Contributor

Yes it's certainly sounds like a scam!

You provide your Medicare # and they proceed to use it to send Medicare a bill.

Frequent Contributor

Never give your Medicare number to anyone who calls you unsolicited.  Medicare Advantage plans do have additional benefits, but it is complicated to analyze the pros and cons.   See:  https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf?template-name=%7B...

Honored Contributor

The insurance ads you see in TV are legit, but they are only available to people who live within certain counties in your state. They are Advantage Plans.

It is against the law to make cold calls to people about Medicare.  If you get  a call from anyone, even a company you recognize, hang up. 

Never give out personal info.

You should only be receiving calls about insurance if you if you requested information.  They will not ask for your Medicare number.

Medicare open enrollment info comes out starting in October for January  2022 enrollment and  all of these nuts will be coming out of the woodwork.

Honored Contributor

Medicare Advantage Plans | Medicare

Medicare Advantage Plans, sometimes called “Part C” or “MA Plans,” are offered by Medicare-approved private companies that must follow rules set by Medicare. Most Medicare Advantage Plans include drug coverage (Part D). In many cases, you’ll need to use health care providers who participate in the plan

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

IMO those Medicare commercials with Joe Namath and the Dynomite guy are legit.  There are a lot of perks available if you live in certain zip codes.  But I would not call that number if they require personal info.  Go the the Medicare website and/or individual insurance companies, i.e., United Healthcare to see what's available.