Honored Contributor

Re: What is one true fact after weight loss or even during, you know now.

@godi wrote:

I have come to the conclusion I was not meant to be a person of thin stature. I have tried and failed numerous times. 

@godi  I do not think being thin is the one all for health. Many people that are overweight by "standards" have good health and good blood pressure. I think it is how you carry the excess weight...your genetics...your family history. And of course how you feel about yourself. We do live in a think thin society...which makes people feel like they need to be thinner. There are so many factors involved with our weight...and, a set point  weight that the body gets comfortable with and is hard to change

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to come to turns with the fact that just because something worked for me in the past, doesn't mean it will or should work for me now.  And just because a plan works for someone else, doesn't mean it will or should work for me.  

I am a former WW member.  I reached lifetime right around the time they changed the plan.  I have not liked any iteration of WW plans since the plan I was on when I lost 104 pounds.  Part of me thought when I reached goal that I was "cured" and that started my weight gain.  I attempted multiple times to go back to WW but hated all the plans and still do.  It was time for me to realize WW was no longer the plan for me.

I also came to the realization that I needed to stop obsessing about food.  Being on a plan where I was tied to logging every single thing I put in my mouth, including water, wasn't helping me.  It was causing me to obsess about food.  I went to bed at night thinking about what I ate during the day.  I focused on any "bad" foods.  I woke up in the morning thinking about what I was going to eat for the day.  If I ate anything I considered bad, my day was wrecked, I went on an eating binge and figured I'd start fresh the next day.  And round and round I went.

Like @SloopJohnB , I came to the conclusion that if I want something, that is what I should eat.  Having off limits foods made me crave them.  If I wanted some potato chips, eating carrot sticks wasn't going to satisfy me.  I'd eat the carrot sticks and then when that wasn't what I wanted, I moved on to something else, then something else and ultimately ended up eating the chips.  I would would have been far better off having a few chips. 

Now, I focus on making healthier choices.  There are no foods that are off limits.  And because there are no off limit foods, I realized I don't want a lot of those foods.  Certainly I'm not even close to perfect but I'm better than I was.  The best thing for me is that I don't think about food all day, everyday.

I also used to be a person that would eat something and then exercise to burn off those calories.  But again, I realized you cannot out exercise a bad diet.            

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Besides what was already said, a quote I heard recently from Bill Maher struct me.  "Have  you ever seen a fat 90 year old?"  That really hit me because no I have never seen a fat 90 year old.  Every relative I've had that lived to their 90's was thin.  I never thought about the fact that the extra 40lbs I lose and gain is keeping me from that.  

If you want to live to your 90's or beyond you need to be active and take care of your body.  

I'm going to put this quote on my refrigerator as a reminder.

My dad died at 90. Fat and overweight.  He was diabetic.  I think he was the exception to many medical things I know of.  How he ever made it to 90 is a mystery.  The women in the family took good care of him.  

Respected Contributor

Have only read OP and one other comment, and agree with both.

You really do have to stick to your "new way of life/eating" for the most part, maybe enitirely if you feel (as I do) that it can otherwise be a slippery slope. That is, I believe, in my experience the best way to keep it off, maintain. The nutritionist I once saw and lost some weight successfully with, said you could start taking a few things back a little more (like during losing I really limited dairy, only so many drinks per week, only so many healthy carbs back, etc.) I did that, and pre-Covid, went up a little (I'd actually lost more than I needed to, so the few lbs back didn't bother me) and I stayed in a good zone...I had some "extras" back, but basically overall maintained the healthy habits, and maintained a good weight for me. But been thinking maybe I will just stick to things the same, once I get back where I want to be. Because it's the "keeping track" you can lose boundaries and take back more than you actually should.

Covid hit...all boundaries and defenses were down. Gained 15 lbs.

Don't feel mad or guilty about it...it was troubling times and some personal loss...gave myself grace.

But I'm back on, have lost 5.5 so far, and really in the right mind-set again.

While I do believe in still enjoying and celebrating food, recipes, cooking, memories of family food can bring...Similar to what OP said, I still have an overall feeling of "eating to live" vs. "living to eat"more now. Fueling & feeding my body, with good health in mind. I agree...as I navigate all this again, I'll work to keep it interesting, varied, but need to adopt these ways for good. Not an "on/off" thing.

As someone else said...I'm very strict in the grocery store too, checking labels etc. I just don't bring things in the house I shouldn't, as once in the house, I'd have no control. I have much better control in the grocery. Maybe that's the ONE "plus" from all the inflated prices lately....rather spend on healthy, wholesome, needed nutrients, then frivolous snacks I don't need!

Good luck to all trying to lose or maintain.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Besides what was already said, a quote I heard recently from Bill Maher struct me.  "Have  you ever seen a fat 90 year old?"  That really hit me because no I have never seen a fat 90 year old.  Every relative I've had that lived to their 90's was thin.  I never thought about the fact that the extra 40lbs I lose and gain is keeping me from that.  

If you want to live to your 90's or beyond you need to be active and take care of your body.  

That's not true.....my father in law was fat and 90. He ate anything he wanted....and lived to be almost 91. 

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

Hi @qualitygal, very timely post as I'm currently in the middle of my 60 pound weight loss journey.  For me, it's finally admitting that I (and I'm only speaking for myself) MUST track calories.  I fought that part for years.  Told my doctor that I didn't want to live my life counting calories all day every day and I'd just settle for being overweight.  I was that adamant.  Stubborn.  Finally I reached the point that I didn't want to be overweight anymore.  I FINALLY committed to tracking calories (using my Fitbit app, which isn't the top of the line, but it's working for me). 

For two months prior to calorie tracking I had been walking every day, at least two miles a day and didn't drop a pound.  Once I started tracking calories and staying in a deficit, BAM, 24 pounds gone in 8 weeks.  I know that seems like a lot quickly, but I'm not starving myself.  I still enjoy foods that I consider treats, just less of them.  It's just how my body is reacting.  I'm very happy with my results, and I truly am relearning how to eat.  I feel confident that I'll have the knowledge to maintain when I get to that part.

Totally agree with the calorie counting.  I've done all the others!!! Now I'm down 20 and it's working better than any of the others ever had in my life.  

Esteemed Contributor

I keep my weight off be exercise. Once I stopped exercising in the winter, I could feel my clothes getting a little tight. It's a choice. Exercise does not have to be soul sucking. I just choose to stay fit, because it means more to me than eating.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

The one true fact is that exercise is insignificant as a weight loss strategy unless you are running a marathon daily.  Yes, exercise is important and significant for your health so it is critical for other reasons.  It's the food, not the exercise for weight loss success.

Agree. Someone once said "you can't outrun a poor diet" and I've always kept that in mind. Maybe at 21...and as you say, LOTS of it.

The two do go together for good health, though...but for weight loss, good diet is key.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I had to come to turns with the fact that just because something worked for me in the past, doesn't mean it will or should work for me now.  And just because a plan works for someone else, doesn't mean it will or should work for me.  

I am a former WW member.  I reached lifetime right around the time they changed the plan.  I have not liked any iteration of WW plans since the plan I was on when I lost 104 pounds.  Part of me thought when I reached goal that I was "cured" and that started my weight gain.  I attempted multiple times to go back to WW but hated all the plans and still do.  It was time for me to realize WW was no longer the plan for me.

I also came to the realization that I needed to stop obsessing about food.  Being on a plan where I was tied to logging every single thing I put in my mouth, including water, wasn't helping me.  It was causing me to obsess about food.  I went to bed at night thinking about what I ate during the day.  I focused on any "bad" foods.  I woke up in the morning thinking about what I was going to eat for the day.  If I ate anything I considered bad, my day was wrecked, I went on an eating binge and figured I'd start fresh the next day.  And round and round I went.

Like @SloopJohnB , I came to the conclusion that if I want something, that is what I should eat.  Having off limits foods made me crave them.  If I wanted some potato chips, eating carrot sticks wasn't going to satisfy me.  I'd eat the carrot sticks and then when that wasn't what I wanted, I moved on to something else, then something else and ultimately ended up eating the chips.  I would would have been far better off having a few chips. 

Now, I focus on making healthier choices.  There are no foods that are off limits.  And because there are no off limit foods, I realized I don't want a lot of those foods.  Certainly I'm not even close to perfect but I'm better than I was.  The best thing for me is that I don't think about food all day, everyday.

I also used to be a person that would eat something and then exercise to burn off those calories.  But again, I realized you cannot out exercise a bad diet.            

@Lipstickdiva   I think you said it better than me.  I come from a family that food, or should I say, feasts, are what celebrations are made of.  Our kitchen was and is where we all congregate.  I'm Italian on both sides, so that translates to MANGIA.  Lol. But oddly enough none of my family is overweight.  Don't get me wrong, they love to eat, but know when to stop.  I grew up always wanting to be thinner, but looking back, I wasn't fat to begin with.  I ended up suffering from anorexia and then bulimia before Karen Carpenter sadly made it popular.  

So, hence, as I stated in my earlier post, I eat what I want and be done with it.  I don't eat with the old mindset, "the diet starts tomorrow."  That way, I don't pig out on it thinking I won't be having it ever again.  Plus, we all know tomorrow never comes.  🍝🍷

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@mimomof4 I think there are a lot of reasons why people lose weight as they age, whether they want to or not.  Such as, digestive issues. Some foods might now start to bother your system, or you just simply can not eat as much.  Also, your sense of smell and/or taste buds may not work as well, resulting in your eating less.  Another factor could be dental issues, or teeth sensitivity.  Mobility issues, where you don't go out to eat as often or even feel like going to the kitchen.  I am sure there are more reasons.  But my parents experienced some of those issues and both lost weight.  I won't for one moment believe that the people living to their 90's were never fat.  I think that many just lost weight.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead