Honored Contributor

Re: What is chemotherapy like?

If you can use YouTube, there's plenty on there.  Antonella that use to sell on the Q went through it, and appears to be doing a lot better now.  When my sister was going through all she went through, I found innumerable things (info) on YT to answer things I knew nothing about.  It's a great teacher, some are even cancer doctors.  I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 -- I had pretty heavy duty chemo,--- my breast cancer was called lobular carcinoma, stage 3a, hormone positive, had 6 of 8 nodes involved and removed. I had 2 other choices that would have taken more weeks of chemo--I wanted it over in the least amount of time---my chemo therapy was called ACT which stands for Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxol. I started out with the A  and the C that was given in my first 2 months--the adriamycin was red and I was hooked up to that first then afterward the cytoxan was given with whatever preventatives in it. Took about 4-5 hours for that round--no pain from being injected  thru my port.,but made me feel kind of sleepy and foggy. And needed someone to drive me home. I got that round 1x every 2 weeks--did that for 2 months, so 8 rounds. Then the day after, I went back for a neulasta shot and opted for it in my belly with no problems there, however that shot made me ache for a day or 2 , I stayed in bed-- but in about 4 days I was starting to feel better and for the next 10 days  I was functining pretty normal. Lucky there is a patch for the neulasta now. I really didn't feel terrible so  I was very lucky thru this part of chemo---I felt pretty good, no nausea or mouth sores just a little tired.  But I didn't 't sleep well--dr gave me low dose Ativan too, and that worked well.

So for me---no pain, no nausea, no vomiting, my eating was fine--had an issue with popcorn tho---the smell made me quesey-  I did lose 35 lbs by the end of it all--but  adverse effects  others may  have gone thru-- I was lucky not to suffer them.. And if there ever is any pain, those wonderful onc nurses know how to handle it---make sure you tell them about any little thing--I kept a notebook and wrote things down to discuss with them. This is when  you will probably  lose your hair--I did, just a few days after my first dose. I have a few tips for you if you want to hear them. And once again--it is the waiting/ anticipation  that made me crazy. I hate waiting-----Let's get on with this ASAP!!!. That was 10 years ago for me--my onc dr declared me CURED on this last oncology appt in June!!! Just get started kicking these cancer zombies into the ground!!!  As always--good luck and you can do this!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn You are so right my friend, OPTIMISM and a positive attitude is no doubt a huge part of the journey and healing process!

@hyacinth003 I won't do a long version of this but I am (thankfully) a 7 year survivor of breast cancer.  Surgery, chemo and radiation over a 9 month period.   It is a very different experience for most and it soley depends on the specific chemical combination you are given.  The one thing I learned is that there are many different kinds of breast cancer, therefore there are many different forms of chemo.  All in all, I faired pretty well in general.  Never vomited, only felt weak and achey for a few days after infusions.......but again it's different for everyone.  I wish you all the best, you will get through it.

My main message is like that of John regarding colonoscopies, get it done.

Mammorgrams.......get it done.   I was one of those who never missed a mammo since age 40 and at age 54 was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer........so there you have it.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  Stay strong, and we will all be pulling for you.  Lots of good advice in reading all the responses.  You can do this - one day at a time, and remember that we are here for you when you need to ask questions, vent, celebrate small victories, and will walk with you on this journey.

Big hugs for you and best wishes as you start this process - remember each day is one day closer to being done with the treatment and enjoying the rest of your long life!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

As you said @hyacinth003   types of cancers and chemo treatments (maybe with some radiation and/or surgery tossed in) is very different for each person. In light of this, I am hoping those who've had breast cancer and have done treatments really chime in to help you out with their experience.

Folks who've had or have other cancers based on my husband and all he's been through, his treatments and drugs are not at all like breast cancer drugs.

Regular Contributor

If you have a facebook page there is a group on there called Breast Cancer Support-I Got This.  I joined this group when I was about 6 months done with radiation but it has been very informative with information and the woman on this site are very kind and supportive. 

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003

I've been thinking about you & praying for you. I had a lumpectomy & radiation but no chemo. But I want to pass this on to you. When Antonella was going thru chemo, she said she finally broke down & took the narcotics (pain meds) they gave her. She said that made the chemo so much more bearable. So if they give you something, take it. We'll all be thinking of you & praying for you.❤🙏
Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  I have no experience with this but want to wish you a painless and speedy recovery. 

Respected Contributor

I am getting my first round tomorrow.  I have been kind of apprehensive on and off today.  Fear of the unknown and all that.  Reading the responses here have helped.  No one has said it was intolerable!  And it means that something is being  DONE.

I am at a point in life where I will take things that will help with symptoms, if necessary.

I think they said I would have lumpectomy surgery after the regimen of 6 treatments every 3 weeks, but I would continue with something because it is HER+.  After surgery will be radiation for 6 weeks.

Even as a healthcare professional myself, the amount of info is overwhelming, and my brain feels as if a ping pong game is going on in it.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@hyacinth003 -- I had pretty heavy duty chemo,--- my breast cancer was called lobular carcinoma, stage 3a, hormone positive, had 6 of 8 nodes involved and removed. I had 2 other choices that would have taken more weeks of chemo--I wanted it over in the least amount of time---my chemo therapy was called ACT which stands for Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxol. I started out with the A  and the C that was given in my first 2 months--the adriamycin was red and I was hooked up to that first then afterward the cytoxan was given with whatever preventatives in it. Took about 4-5 hours for that round--no pain from being injected  thru my port.,but made me feel kind of sleepy and foggy. And needed someone to drive me home. I got that round 1x every 2 weeks--did that for 2 months, so 8 rounds. Then the day after, I went back for a neulasta shot and opted for it in my belly with no problems there, however that shot made me ache for a day or 2 , I stayed in bed-- but in about 4 days I was starting to feel better and for the next 10 days  I was functining pretty normal. Lucky there is a patch for the neulasta now. I really didn't feel terrible so  I was very lucky thru this part of chemo---I felt pretty good, no nausea or mouth sores just a little tired.  But I didn't 't sleep well--dr gave me low dose Ativan too, and that worked well.

So for me---no pain, no nausea, no vomiting, my eating was fine--had an issue with popcorn tho---the smell made me quesey-  I did lose 35 lbs by the end of it all--but  adverse effects  others may  have gone thru-- I was lucky not to suffer them.. And if there ever is any pain, those wonderful onc nurses know how to handle it---make sure you tell them about any little thing--I kept a notebook and wrote things down to discuss with them. This is when  you will probably  lose your hair--I did, just a few days after my first dose. I have a few tips for you if you want to hear them. And once again--it is the waiting/ anticipation  that made me crazy. I hate waiting-----Let's get on with this ASAP!!!. That was 10 years ago for me--my onc dr declared me CURED on this last oncology appt in June!!! Just get started kicking these cancer zombies into the ground!!!  As always--good luck and you can do this!!!!

@wagirl 

One of the first things the oncologist said was "you're not getting the Red Devil!"  So you got it and made it through!  It has a reputation.

I also want the feeling of getting things STARTED and killing and/or inhibiting cancer cells.

Hyacinth