Respected Contributor

Re: What is all the hubbub about hand sanitizer for?

[ Edited ]

I've always avoided any soap or dishwashing liquid that states it's antibacterial.

In the long run it does more harm than good.

Because of their over use, infections have become very difficult to treat. 

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Lots of people are/were in panic mode, especially when watching the news and getting incomplete or changing information.   Some people are germophobes even in the best of times, so imagine them now!  

Hopefully, we are all calming down now.

I sure would like to know why we can "calm down", is there something new?  Only about 5% of the USA has contracted a virus that is terribly contagious with no vaccine. The only reason there has been any slowing down is that folks have stayed home and honored the social distancing.  Nothing else.

I am not a fanatic but we have close to 300,000,000 left of our citizens as potential cases.

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Lots of people are/were in panic mode, especially when watching the news and getting incomplete or changing information.   Some people are germophobes even in the best of times, so imagine them now!  

Why, because it's over???? We'll have more need for hand sanitizer as things begin to open up again.  The risk will be greater as more people move around in public and as others have said, you need to sanitize when away from your home.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

Here's the "hubub" - can't wash your hands when mailing package after-hours at the post office (to avoid daytime crowds); can't wash hands after leaving grocery & before getting in car; can't lather up my credit card after using in hard-surface machines.  Just trying to get all the cooties off before I have access to water.  If one doesn't think it works, refuse the cart wipe-down at the grocery! 

Honored Contributor

For me, it was more of an issue when I was working (with the public) and couldn't get to a restroom to wash my hands. That's changed for me now, but I still keep a bottle in my car and use it after my shopping or necessary errands 

there are still many people working, who need to do what I was doing!

Honored Contributor

I used hospital hand sanitizer in the office when I worked, but otherwise never jumped on the bandwagon of buying it.   I recently found tiny bottles of Bath and Body hand sanitizer in a drawer, which were probably past gifts from work friends.    I keep canisters of Wet Ones wipes in my car.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that soap is better and is my preferred way to cleanse!!  BUT for convenience sake when I am out going to 2 grocery stores trying to find what we need (like today) I take a small hand sanitizer with me in the car and use it.  I would never touch my face after using it...I don't feel that comfortable with it.  When I get home from shopping I wash my hands very well and clean up anything that needs to be wiped down.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Why, because it's over???? We'll have more need for hand sanitizer as things begin to open up again.  The risk will be greater as more people move around in public and as others have said, you need to sanitize when away from your home.

At least they all won't be at the grocery store buying up all the TP and wipes LOL!

Valued Contributor

Although soap and water is best, hand sanitizers containing a high percentage of alcohol kill viruses as well as other pathogens. 

@PamfromCT wrote:

Soap and water hand washing will protect from viruses.

Hand sanitizers will attack bacteria, not viruses.  Ask any scientist.  They are helpful when you are out and about with no access to soap and water.

Respected Contributor

Never cared for hand sanitizer.  I don't like having a film which feels sticky to me coating my hands and fingers.  And it not only kills "bad" bacteria, but kills all your "good" bacteria as well.  The good bacteria are supposed to protect you from the bad.

When I go grocery shopping I do take a wipe with me to wipe off the cart and keep handy while I'm shopping, but the minute I get home I wash with regular soap and water cause I just don't like that sticky, unnatural feeling on my hands.  I don't even like wearing gloves cause I can't feel my fingers.

I know some people swear by it - hand sanitizer - but I never did care for it even before all this.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing