Honored Contributor

Re: What is a good multi-vitamin brand?

None.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe try CENTRUM SILVER FOR WOMEN aged 50+ (if that's your age group).  Same brand makes one for men.

The  senior version of Centrum multi-vitamins contains less of what older women don't need and more of what they supposedly need.

I've been taking it a few times per week for years.  Not sure whether I need it, but it's worth a try, and I stay pretty healthy.

I also take a Vitamin D tablet several days a week, for no specific reason other than it might do me some good.

The vitamin industry is not regulated, so every brand is probably a shot in the dark.

Respected Contributor

NEW CHAPTER- MV and other supplements

Honored Contributor

Centrum MultiGummies are good.  There are three kinds: Men, Women, and [Not Specified].  They taste good and there are frequently coupons in the paper and online.

Honored Contributor

I buy an identical knockoff of Centrum Silver Senior Vitamins for over 50, either Equate Brand from Walmart, Sentry from Swanson or Puritans Pride ABC for Seniors. I dont notice any talc in the ingredients.

Valued Contributor

I have taken andrew Lessmans for years

Trusted Contributor

I've been taking the Kirkland brand from Costco. I had a couple deficencies that showed up on my blood work.Been taking the multi vitamin for over 50 for a year and my last blood work came out good. They are huge though and I had to buy a pill spliter so I could take them! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @SKJCPA - I think a supplement of B12 is important, along with Vit D (if not enough sunshine is obtained and levels are low on blood tests.)  Also, I'd suggest DHA/EPA (algae-derived) if concerned about low levels of omega-3's.

As a whole, I don't think a general-type supplement is proven to be helpful.  (Pam Popper has good videos on this.)

But, if going to take a general supplement, I'd look into Dr. Fuhrman's.  For example, one advantage to his is no "folic acid."  Folic acid (synthetic) is not the same as folate (found naturally in foods).  Without getting too much into it, it may be helpful to google risks of folic acid (synthetic).  High levels of folic acid can also mask a deficiency of B-12.  B-12 deficiencies in the elderly can present like dementia (in addition to other symptoms).

Hope some of this information is helpful.

Honored Contributor

Pure brand ,but they are expensive

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Hi @SKJCPA - I think a supplement of B12 is important, along with Vit D (if not enough sunshine is obtained and levels are low on blood tests.)  Also, I'd suggest DHA/EPA (algae-derived) if concerned about low levels of omega-3's.

As a whole, I don't think a general-type supplement is proven to be helpful.  (Pam Popper has good videos on this.)

https://youtu.be/3NlKGlMoUow

BE1A8D31-F262-4EF4-BE07-443AEA4197C0.jpeg

@Julie_23

I love Pamela Popper! She’s got several videos on the unproven benefits

of supplements...as well as Dr. Michael Greger (Nutrition Facts). 

Isolating nutrients is something the generation/2 before us didn’t have.

Something causing us more harm than good.