Honored Contributor

What is a bespoke eating plan?

[ Edited ]

A friend has been told to see a dr who pushes the bespoke nutrition plan. Medicare won’t cover this dr, who is an MD, or the bespoke plan. She has no other health insurance. I have not found anything online about it except it looks like prepared meals that are delivered to you...I know my friend couldn’t not ever afford that. She is barely getting by right now. If she could find out the specifics of what to eat, she could do it without spending hundreds of dollars. Sorry I couldn’t find her any more info but was hoping someone here might be kind enough to share any information they have about Bespoke. TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: What is a bespoke eating plan?

Bespoke just means made for a specific person - tailored to your own needs.

Instead of a meal plan with pre-made meals, she may want to see a nutritionist to help create her own meal plan. Medicare Part B will sometimes cover the cost of a nutritionist.

You can read more about it here: https://www.seniorhealthcaredirect.com/wellness-wednesday-will-medicare-cover-nutritionist-therapy/

Honored Contributor

Real definition appears to be rip-off.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a custom plan.  However if she can't afford that then her doctor should provide what it is that she should & shouldn't be eating.

Honored Contributor

The hospital in my town has a nutritionist available on an outpatient basis free of charge for anyone to discuss any diet needs.  Perhaps your friend’s area has something similar.  Or something available to seniors, if she is on Medicare.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

A friend has been told to see a dr who pushes the bespoke nutrition plan. Medicare won’t cover this dr, who is an MD, or the bespoke plan. She has no other health insurance. I have not found anything online about it except it looks like prepared meals that are delivered to you...I know my friend couldn’t not ever afford that. She is barely getting by right now. If she could find out the specifics of what to eat, she could do it without spending hundreds of dollars. Sorry I couldn’t find her any more info but was hoping someone here might be kind enough to share any information they have about Bespoke. TIA!

Bespoke clothing is the term for tailor-made clothes so I assume it would be the same for a custom Nutritional plan.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Real definition appears to be rip-off.

It usually means Tailor-made clothes, I’ve never heard it used as a “rip off.”

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
  1. A friend has been told to see a dr who pushes the bespoke nutrition plan. Medicare won’t cover this dr, who is an MD, or the bespoke plan. She has no other health insurance. I have not found anything online about it except it looks like prepared meals that are delivered to you...I know my friend couldn’t not ever afford that. She is barely getting by right now. If she could find out the specifics of what to eat, she could do it without spending hundreds of dollars. Sorry I couldn’t find her any more info but was hoping someone here might be kind enough to share any information they have about Bespoke. TIA!

Google the words bolded and it comes up first.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess  Please advise your friend to avoid any pre-prepared foods. I agree with others to consult nutritionists that are available to them for free. Even "Meals on Wheels" are better than any prepared diet.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

@lovesrecess 

Your friend should not see a doctor that will not accept Medicare. She needs to find a nutritionist. Ask her doctor for a prescription.