Contributor

What is a GREAT way to clear out the GI tract??

I've used detox products, ate LOTS of green leafy veggies (including kale), upped my olive oil, drink LOTS of water daily, and make sure any carbs I eat are high in fiber. Sooo... why am I so sluggish? I feel tired a lot, and think it's all related. Is there anything else I can try?

I also go for walks, thinking that would help, but not really. Appreciate tips ♥︎

Trusted Contributor

Re: What is a GREAT way to clear out the GI tract??

I had to stop eating bread altogether.  No more flour tortillas (corn ok) or pasta.  Or sandwiches.  That's really all that it took for me.  I eat really well but bread affects me in a terrible way.  Im not gluten free - I'll eat croutons and breaded chicken and fish even, but I don't eat pasta, pizza or bread.  This has been a lifelong issue for me btw so I can completely relate.  I've always eaten a ton of fresh veggies, drink plenty of water and even take probiotics. But if I eat a slice of pizza I'm bloated and have sluggish GI for days.

Frequent Contributor

Pure Esssence Ionic fizz - calcium/magnesium or the magnesium fizz works well for me and I have tried everything. 

Contributor

Hmm, maybe this is it. I don't generally eat bread products (because I wanted to lose 5 lbs or so) and my weight doesn't budge, but I do eat a sandwich once a week, and maybe a taco... I wonder if even sporadically, bread products are throwing me off?

Honored Contributor

@IHeartFashion

Swiss Kriss .... all natural, sold at Whole Foods, among other places.

Honored Contributor

@IHeartFashion

Check your MEDS, if any, for that specific side effect.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@natesgrandma wrote:

Pure Esssence Ionic fizz - calcium/magnesium or the magnesium fizz works well for me and I have tried everything. 

Agree with this too...if I do eat pizza or a sandwich or something "bready" magnesium really helps....so I avoid bread and then if I just have to eat it, I drink magnesium powders

hat night or the next night.  It is a decent system for me....

Honored Contributor

Eat a pound of cherries.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Smaller meals.  Give your body time to process them.  If I do get a big lunch I might order it early and eat half, then eat a few bites as an afternoon snack and then the remainder for dinner or a light dinner and eat rest the next day for lunch.  Soups are great for me in winter - @lentil and veggie stews are filling and have fiber and I grate lots of cheese on them and drizzle olive so they are tasty but no bread to cause me problems.  Maybe a few croutons but not a big breast meal.  Beef stew isn't hearty and can be loaded with veggies and satisfying.

in summer, I love steak salads.  A regular salad of any kind topped with steak strips (no bread). Satisfying and I don't feel bloated in morning.   I buy premade salads a lot, and top with either steak or Costco rotisserie chicken several nights a week.  You will never miss the bread.

and I don't eat huge meals.  The bigger the email the more sluggish my GI is.i wake up still feeling full after a big dinner...skip breakfast and have coffee to help move things through when that happens.

i think the most important is to pay attention to your gut and how it feels and eat accordingly.  I've skipped a day of meals because I felt so bloated that I don't want to end up impacted in there, so drink tea and juices or protein drinks all day until I feel less sluggish good luck.  Been to doctors and not a lot of options learned.

Trusted Contributor

I have more lol.  Been a struggle for decades and I'm at a good place now, so would,like to hear back from you on how any of this works.

First think in morinign on empty stomach a probiotic followed by coffee.

For exercise i try to do 20-50 jumping jacks each morning (before coffee) Really 5 minutes byt I tighten my core when I do then and I feel the jumping with core tightening and jostling helps bring blood flow to gut and just move things around If I do jumping jacks, i don't eat to impaction (you can tell when the food isn't really moving down anymore)  hot tea in afternoon and lighter dinner, avoiding bread as much as possible ...you really can have a decent life with sluggish bowels.  It's just finding satisfying food.  

My favorite food of all is bread and butter, but if I make tortilla chip Jackie s with steak and avocado I will weigh less and feel less bloated than if I just eat sourdough with butter. ..