Respected Contributor

Re: What inspires you to stick to a weight loss program?

My inspiration comes from being able to comfortably wear my clothes. A pair of white leather slacks and a black leather sheath dress are my guidelines. When I don't feel right when I put them on, I double down on my calorie counting. 

Let's face it. With all the food choices we have, it is very easy to overdo it. I wish all of you good luck in your endeavors. 

Respected Contributor

Most of my adult life, I have had weight issues. I have had emotional issues with food-as so many of us do. You know, eat when you're tired-have that chocolate or "feel good" ice cream.....eat when you're sad....eat when there's something to celebrate-or not. Eat "just because".  I low- carbed most of my life and I can't say that served me well. This past January I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and that changed everything. Initially, I was very depressed: I love cooking and eating! I laughed in my doctor's face when he put me on a 1200 calorie diet. I was convinced that I was going to be hungry and miserable....but a funny thing happened.....I quickly realized that I had to choose foods that filled me up. I could blow my whole days carb and fat allotment on a lousy sandwich ( it was quick to make after all), or I could have a marvelous concoction that I created from quinoa, two ounces of chicken breasts and delicious veggies with any number of delightful sauces I have learned to make. I began to feel good again, and my food obsessions and bingeing stopped. I discovered that when you nourish your body with whole, natural unprocessed food, it goes a long way to banishing bad dietary habits. I DO have a choice-I can eat anything I want. Nobody is policing what I put in my mouth....but in the long term, I don't want to be robbed of my precious vision....I want to dance on MY feet-not prosthetics....I want to use the bathroom as normal people do: I don't want to be hooked to a dialysis machine. These days, I eat fresh, fantastic whole foods: I do not eat what I do not like-period. I have had to adjust my tastes away from salt and sugar, and that does take a little practice, but you start off with baby steps: it IS doable-I promise! Before you know it, instead of wishing you were one of those people who can exercise restraint, you ARE one....and it's not so much about exercising restraint as it is about making choices that taste fantastic, nourish you and make you feel satisfied. To date, I have lost thirty pounds and I have another twenty to go. I have physical limitations, so while I wish I could say that exercise has played a role, it hasn't. You are so worth it: everybody deserves high quality delicious food and it's time that we all start standing up for ourselves rather than settling for inferior fat, salt and sugar laden foods. One last thought: shopping for clothes has gotten fun again instead of being a shame-ridden hopeless activity! Hugs to you: you are worth it!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

My inspiration comes from being able to comfortably wear my clothes. A pair of white leather slacks and a black leather sheath dress are my guidelines. When I don't feel right when I put them on, I double down on my calorie counting. 

Let's face it. With all the food choices we have, it is very easy to overdo it. I wish all of you good luck in your endeavors. 

Same here.  When my dress pants start to feel tight I know I have gained pounds, and it is time to cut back on sweets (my weakness) and ramp up the exercise. 

Valued Contributor

Hi Homegirl and ladies,

For anyone that's struggled with their weight, you know it is NOT easy. I love comments some times from those that have never had an issue with weight or food--"Oh, just do so-and-so and the weight will come off"--well, it just isn't like that for most of us who struggle. 

I've had weight issues since having my children. I've gone up and down. And the one thing that keeps pusing my forward in my pursuit of better health (and possibly a smaller jean size Smiley Wink ) is my HEALTH. My health is good and I want to keep it that way.

I would suggest having bloodwork done to see what your baseline numbers look like. Cholesterol, blood sugar, BP, etc. I had a work up about 2 years ago that indicated a few things were climbing upward--like my cholesterol. And I wanted to get that in check. This then spurred me to work with a nutritionist who really has taught me so much about eating well and health. Thought I knew so much, really. I think we live in an age where we can google anything and find what we think are the right answers. Well, it pays to speak to an expert in this area. And most of the time, a nutrtionist is covered by major medical insurance!

Honored Contributor

Poodlepet and glmama- MY HEROES!! Totally agree with both of you.
It's taken me DECADES to get where I am now, but I finally am doing the best for myself, and you folks obviously are too.
BEST WISHES for continuing success!!!

It's nothing but the urge to lose weight and get rid of obesity related problems. Weight loss programs are the ideal way to lose weight, but the main thing is that we'll have to adjust our diet and follow it as recommended. It's hard to follow a strict diet, but we'll have to. Maintaining a diet alone would not lose our weight, we'll have to do do workouts and other things. I was weighing 290 pounds and had many obesity-related problems, and searched for weight loss programs in Toronto where I live and found a men's weight loss support system called Harvey Brooker and joined for a 9 months weight loss program. Now it's been 4 months of my program and I have lost about 40 lbs. This is why I stick on to weight loss programs rather than searching for other ways.

Esteemed Contributor

I lost 108 pounds on Weight Watchers over 30 years ago. As others have said, maintaining weight loss can be a challenge. I'm currently just a few pounds from my goal weight, after returning to WW after I started gaining weight again. 

For what it's worth, here are some thoughts. Stop beating yourself up if you gain weight. The more we chastise ourselves for weight gain, and call ourselves names that nobody else would ever utter, the more anger we generate. That negative thinking usually sends us right back to the fridge. If you've gone off you weight loss program, just get right back on track immediately. We have to stop the I'll-start-on-Monday or the I-blew-it-so-I-might-as-well-eat whatever-I-want kind of thinking. Just forgive yourself and move on.

As we get older, it becomes more difficult (if not impossible), to aim for a goal weight that only a 12 year old could achieve. By aiming for achievable goals, we avoid that all-or-nothing kind of thinking. Instead of demanding of ourselves to aim for perfection, compromise with smaller, realistic, achievable goals including your goal weight. For some of us that means NOT getting on the scale every day. When I lost the 108 pounds, for 15 months I never got on my bathroom scale. I just weighed in at my weekly WW meeting. The same holds true for exercise. If you haven't worked out in awhile, check with your doctor and start out slowly. If you go all out at the beginning, you'll wind up all in. Do things that you enjoy. It's too challenging to participate in activities you dislike.

Finally, avoid weight loss programs that are quirky...no cabbage and kale only diets, for example. In my experience, any diet that forbids certain foods becomes a temptation to eat that forbidden food in vast quantities. WW is good for me because nothing is off limits. I just have to be smart in my choices and my portions.

So, the advice I give you is to relax, go easy on yourself, and develop a lifestyle that is more compromise with food than fighting it. One of the best things a relative said to me after I had just joined WW was "I know you can do this, Vivian." She was right. I say the same thing to you. You can do this. And as we like to say at WW: Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Weighing myself at least a couple of times a week, considering my BMI, buttoning my jeans easily maybe even taking the waistline in or needing a smaller size .  Also when it is bedtime , knowing I will fall to sleep easily if I have done the amount of exercise I need during th day.

Honored Contributor

People you are all beautiful just how you are.If you need to loose weight to save your health then the renewed health should be an inispiration and goal.To be able to move comfortably and progress to joyfully is so fabulous that I wish it for everyone.I have always worked to keep my body functioning at its peak and that has kept me committed to fueling it with quality healthy ingredients,working out for stength and energy and keeping my inner peace.I choose to see myself as happy and healthy with a good dose of fit to round it all out.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I lost 100 pounds over 3 years and have kept it off for 3 more...and still going.

My health is what keeps me inspired.  No more joint problems, no more back problems, mitral valve prolapse corrected itself, no more blood pressure meds, no more "borderline diabetic".  I view the whole looking better in clothes as just an added bonus...

It's a complete lifestyle change that can still (to this day) be challenging, but I quickly remember all the health benefits I have received by not lugging around that 100 pounds!