Honored Contributor

What inspires you to stick to a weight loss program?

I know there aren't any "tricks" to help with losing weight and it's all a combination of moving more and eating less.  I was wondering, however, for anyone who has done it, how did you keep yourself going?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: What inspires you to stick to a weight loss program?

If I feel full. If I am left hungry, I can't stick to it. The filling foods must have some balance to the meals, so I am not left craving something I am missing.
Trusted Contributor

I have battled losing weight my whole life.  I have tried every imaginable diet.

I have lost usually around 25 lbs and then just didn't stick with anything and the weight came back on.

About a year ago, I decided to go by to the tried and true WW.  I have tried their

programs many times and not continued.  But for some reason, this time it has

been successful. 

I realized this is my life, not a diet. I have lost close to 50 lbs, and I have dropped from size XL to a size M.  I cannot describe how great it feels.

I still want to lose 25 more lbs., and it will take time, I know.  No quick fixes.

Key:  keep junk out of your house.  eat a lot of fruits and vegetables,

eat other things in small portions.  Drink lots of water.

Find something you enjoy that gives you some exercise.

I only wish I had done this when I was younger.  Honestly, that is my biggest regret.  It isn't easy, and it does take will power. You have to REALLY want this,

and then you change your eating and stick with it for the rest of your life.

I know it is not easy.

good luck. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much.  I'm glad some people are still awake.

I can go along for weeks and think I'm doing well, focusing on salads and such, and even really enjoying them, when all of a sudden I'll start to feel deprived (that's the best way I can describe it) and will think I need ice cream or something.  I know I really don't.

I have never weighed as much until the last ten years or so.

I'd like to get past the point where I imagine I'm deprived.  That's my goal now -- just to get beyond that.

Honored Contributor

What inspires me to stick to losing weight? Looking in the mirror every day and seeing the wonderful transformation I'm making to my body! Fitting into fashionable clothes and know I look good. Visiting my doctor and all my blood tests come out in the normal range. I could go on and on.....

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I know there aren't any "tricks" to help with losing weight and it's all a combination of moving more and eating less.  I was wondering, however, for anyone who has done it, how did you keep yourself going?

I've lost 94 pounds.  It's taken a long time and while I haven't changed my eating habits, it's been going really slowly lately.  I have 15 pounds to go.  What has kept me going is pretty simple.  I just didn't want to be so heavy anymore.  I wanted to be thin again.  Like I used to be.  That's it.

Nothing gives me more inspiration to keep going than to see my former size 24/26 body now a 12.  I'm thrilled with my new look, which used to be my regular look years ago.  And I'm so proud of myself for sticking with it and getting the weight off.  All of that keeps me going.

Oh, and my biggest thing that I've done through this entire journey?  I very rarely looked at the entire number of pounds I needed to lose.  When I started and lost like 2 pounds I was thrilled.  If someone at any point would say "how much more would you like to lose?" I'd say "I'd like to lose another pound- would be thrilled to lose another pound".  I never, ever, ever looked at it as needing to lose 108 pounds as that was too overwhelming to me.  So I've just stuck with a pound at a time thing.

Even now, with 15 pounds to go, I still really look at it as 1 pound at a time.  My mind doesn't really ever venture to the finishing goal weight.  I just keep plugging along.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Revenge.

The haters come out in droves.

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I've lost 94 pounds.  It's taken a long time and while I haven't changed my eating habits, it's been going really slowly lately.  I have 15 pounds to go.  What has kept me going is pretty simple.  I just didn't want to be so heavy anymore.  I wanted to be thin again.  Like I used to be.  That's it.

Nothing gives me more inspiration to keep going than to see my former size 24/26 body now a 12.  I'm thrilled with my new look, which used to be my regular look years ago.  And I'm so proud of myself for sticking with it and getting the weight off.  All of that keeps me going.

Oh, and my biggest thing that I've done through this entire journey?  I very rarely looked at the entire number of pounds I needed to lose.  When I started and lost like 2 pounds I was thrilled.  If someone at any point would say "how much more would you like to lose?" I'd say "I'd like to lose another pound- would be thrilled to lose another pound".  I never, ever, ever looked at it as needing to lose 108 pounds as that was too overwhelming to me.  So I've just stuck with a pound at a time thing.

Even now, with 15 pounds to go, I still really look at it as 1 pound at a time.  My mind doesn't really ever venture to the finishing goal weight.  I just keep plugging along.

CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.  You should be so proud of yourself. 

My husband and I lost about 60 pounds somewhere around 2007/08.  Then the company he worked for decided to retire him.  We are both stress eaters and gained all of it back with having to sell our house and downsize.  Now we are back at it again and started last March.  We go to the gym 4-5 times a week doing cardio and using the machines, etc.  We also have been eating better and allow one day a week to have a dinner like pizza.  So far, I've lost 26.5 pounds and am averaging 1.37 pounds  week. 

I, like you, do not look at the big picture.  I take it in small increments and am happy to see any drop on the scale, along with being able to fit back into some of the clothes that I purchased after the 60 pound loss. 

We just keep plugging along and take it slowly, but grateful for any small loss.  Again, congratulations to you for your hard work.

Esteemed Contributor

While I greatly understand why inspiration is often needed to lose weight, most need even greater inspiration once they have reached their desired weight. As the old saying goes, I think: "losing weight is easy, I've done it hundreds of times"

Unfortunately, the majority that lose a lot of weight, gain all of it back, and many gain evev more than they lost. Not only are they heavier once again, they are also fatter. Most that lose large amounts of weight, loss muscle tissue along with the fat tissue. When gaining back the weight most of it is fat tissue, thus their body composition is more fat tissue after their weight loss and the regain in pounds.

I am a male that weighed at highest, when 5'5" in high school, of over 210lbs(very fat). My lowest was when training for 26.2 marathon runs and my weight at 5'8" was 122lbs. Just pointing this out to acknowledge that "I have been there"

My inspirations were many. I wanted to run faster and farther/I wanted to stay as physically fit as possible/wanted to feel good 24 hours a day, not just the few minutes eating just to eat made me feel good, and also had me regret it later.

I always did this "FOR MYSELF" not for anyone else. I think what can help inspire most is setting "moving goals", which means you always have a specific goal and you are determined to achieve it.

It could be a walking goal/a running-swimming-skating goal, but something that requires you to exercise at times "out of your comfort zone".

Without always having a reachable goal I have found it to be very easy to slip back, to a place where most who lose a lot of weight, do not want to be. 

I always remember it has to be a "permanent lifestyle change", and not what many like to call "a dieting period of time". 

One thing that used to inspire me during s training run where I had to struggle I said to myself: "I run because there are many that cannot walk". Got me through some tough times.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love all your heartfelt responses.  It seriously means a lot more reading them from folks here than reading similar words in a book or magazine article.

I came across a quote that I think will help me to carry on:  "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal," Henry Ford.

I'm posting this quote on my refrigerator.