Trusted Contributor

Re: What has worked for those who have dry, cracked and bleeding hands

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

I agree with these suggestions. I live in central Texas, so winters are usually mild and I leave my heat off as long as possible and just wear sweaters and use cuddly blankets instead. The heat dries me out from my eyes to my toes. I keep a humidifier on in my bedroom and living room and that helps a lot. I even have a small humidifier on my desk at work.

When I find I'm washing my hands often, I switch from a soap to a cream cleanser and it helps a lot. I say this about face moisturizers a lot and think it extends to the rest of our bodies - we always worry about the moisturizers we use and forget to examine the cleansers we use, which often cause the real harm when it comes to dry skin.

I have very dry skin innately but I am also hypothyroid, which makes it worse. I would like to add to these suggestions that in the winter especially, I use olive oil bar soap (comes in a cream also) that I puchased by the truckload from QVC. It is amazing at keeping my skin moist and removes all of those little cold bumps and such with my 

Japanese Salux body cloth.

ETA:  The Virgin Olive Oil Bath Soap Beauty Bars are Item # A -81962, and you get (6) large bars for $ 22.00. This is a bargain as these bars last forever, they just don't shrink and it is cheaper than creas like Philosophy, etc. and they make yor skin so very nice. Good for all year long and I swear by them !

Trusted Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

I agree with these suggestions. I live in central Texas, so winters are usually mild and I leave my heat off as long as possible and just wear sweaters and use cuddly blankets instead. The heat dries me out from my eyes to my toes. I keep a humidifier on in my bedroom and living room and that helps a lot. I even have a small humidifier on my desk at work.

When I find I'm washing my hands often, I switch from a soap to a cream cleanser and it helps a lot. I say this about face moisturizers a lot and think it extends to the rest of our bodies - we always worry about the moisturizers we use and forget to examine the cleansers we use, which often cause the real harm when it comes to dry skin.

I have very dry skin innately but I am also hypothyroid, which makes it worse. I would like to add to these suggestions that in the winter especially, I use olive oil bar soap (comes in a cream also) that I puchased by the truckload from QVC. It is amazing at keeping my skin moist and removes all of those little cold bumps and such with my 

ETA:  The Virgin Olive Oil Bath Soap Beauty Bars are Item # A -81962, and you get (6) large bars for $ 22.00. This is a bargain as these bars last forever, they just don't shrink and it is cheaper than liquid creams like Philosophy, etc. and they make yor skin so very nice. Good for all year long and I swear by them !

Respected Contributor

@bebe777 I have to agree with you about the WEN treatment oil!  Yesterday was the day my hands decided they'd had enough of the cold and the dry and by the time I got home they were so dry and red they Hurt.  My go to is Neutrogena in the tube but naturally I didn't have any so What was I to do?  Then I thought I've got the WEN oil so with nothing to lose I put about 6 drops on the backs of my hands and it didn't sting and the redness lessened and they stopped hurting!  That was really all I was asking of it but It smoothed them a little as well.  I put a few more drops on at bedtime and my hands were even better.  WEN oil served me well till I could get out for the "Big Guns".  Neutrogena and cotton gloves still my go to but it's nice to know WEN oil works!

Honored Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

I use these:

ETA:  The Virgin Olive Oil Bath Soap Beauty Bars are Item # A -81962, and you get (6) large bars for $ 22.00. This is a bargain as these bars last forever, they just don't shrink and it is cheaper than creas like Philosophy, etc. and they make yor skin so very nice. Good for all year long and I swear by them !

@redhead65

Thank you, I will try these!

Super Contributor

I'm an over washer with hot water and Dawn (I know that the best to wash hands with). I have dry, cracked, and bleeding hands all winter.

I take the long ankle portion of a sock, cut it off, and slide it onto my hand with the cut edge at my fingers, I note where my thumb is and cut an slit. I put my thumb in to test the size, enlarge as needed. Then before bed I'll coat my hand, where needed, with Neosporin Plus pain relief in the ointment version--helps to heal and keep infection risk down--, put the sock on, tucking the cut edge under to prevent strings.

It allows my hand to breath, keeps the ointment in place, and no blood on my bedding. they never come off in bed, and are comfortable. I forget I'm wearing it.

Honored Contributor

I get Liz Taylor's White Diamonds, cream. It's the best I've found. I got some Burt's Bees wax lip balm and it was wonderful. Think I'll look for the hand cream if they put any out.

Contributor

Please try this.  My dermatologist recommended this to me when O'Keefe's no longer was effective.  For extra relief, my doctor had the pharmacy compound this with a very small amount of menthol in it.  It is sheer heaven for hands that are bleeding.

Trusted Contributor

I take 3 fish oil pills daily and don't have dry hands anymore. Give it a try.

Valued Contributor

O'Keefe's Working Hands, without a doubt.  It has healed my hands and fingers in about 2 days.  I keep one by my bed and one on my desk.  Won't be without it!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call