Trusted Contributor

Re: What has worked for those who have dry, cracked and bleeding hands

@Beeweaver wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

I have tried l'occitane, working hands, the other cream that is sold on Q, argon oil, OTC lotions and sleeping with cotton gloves on.  Nothing is working.  I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!

I use Bag Balm on my feet and then put socks on.  I'm sure you could do the same for your hands with gloves.  It is used for dry cracked cow udders.  It comes in a green tin and I purchased mine at Walgreens. 

450.jpg

Another vote for Bag Balm.  I use it on my feet at night with socks,  The last thing I do every morning before I leave the house is to put it on my hands and then put on my gloves.  It is great stuff. 

Contributor

My father used to have dry cracked fingertips in the winter that were very painful.  His dr. gave him an RX for Urea Cream, 40%.  You can get 20% OTC in a drug store, you might have to ask one of their staff where it is, as it's hard to find. .  Also it lasts forever as a little bit goes a long way.

Valued Contributor

@susielong wrote:

O'Keefe's working hands. If your feet are dry, try their Healthy feet cream, it's great too!!

I second the O'Keefe's.  It comes in a lotion now as well as the cream.  The lotion isn't quite as fast working but great to use throughout the day.

Esteemed Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

@susielong wrote:

O'Keefe's working hands. If your feet are dry, try their Healthy feet cream, it's great too!!

I second the O'Keefe's.  It comes in a lotion now as well as the cream.  The lotion isn't quite as fast working but great to use throughout the day.

My husband swears by this product and has psoriasis, which just aggrevates the cracking in his hands.  This stuff is super for his condition.

Super Contributor

I have very dry skin due to a skin autoimmune condition. During the day I use O'Keefe's or First Aid Beuaty.

At night I use Bag Balm (google reviews on places like drugstore dot com) under cotton gloves.  As far as I am concerned Bag Balm is a miracle cure.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

I agree with these suggestions. I live in central Texas, so winters are usually mild and I leave my heat off as long as possible and just wear sweaters and use cuddly blankets instead. The heat dries me out from my eyes to my toes. I keep a humidifier on in my bedroom and living room and that helps a lot. I even have a small humidifier on my desk at work.

When I find I'm washing my hands often, I switch from a soap to a cream cleanser and it helps a lot. I say this about face moisturizers a lot and think it extends to the rest of our bodies - we always worry about the moisturizers we use and forget to examine the cleansers we use, which often cause the real harm when it comes to dry skin.

Trusted Contributor

Surgeons Skin Secret from QVC.

Respected Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

@dex @ChynnaBlue

Thank you for asking about psoriasis and eczema.  I don't have either.  I saw the dermatologist 2 weeks ago and he told me to use the prescription triamcinolone acetonide cream that is used for dermatitis. I called the derm doctor and the earliest I can see him is March. So I will again use the patient portal and see if he has any other suggestions. When we lived in Omaha my husband's friend was a pharmacist and he used to compound a secret mixture that was fantastic. The pharmacist has since retired.

@butterfly123, I'm really glad that you checked with a dermatologist to make sure that you didn't have an underlying skin condition.

Until a few months ago, L'Occitaine 10% shea butter over jojoba oil was the best overnight combination I had found. -- Then I would use Josie Maran's balm during the day because it contained beeswax and beeswax doesn't wash right off after you wash your hands during the day. It stays around to help provide continued protection.

That said, in the winter, I'm always playing catch up with my heels. Whatever I do, eventually they wind up cracking and bleeding on occasion.

A few months ago, I purchased Wen Treatment Oil (by Chaz Dean) which was in the September Wen TSV. -- Out of desperation, in November when my heels were starting to look bad, I put about 6 drops of the Wen oil on the bottom of my feet before bedtime. The following morning my feet definitely looked better. I did this for three nights in a row and saw some improvement. 

The Wen Treatment Oils absorbs right into my skin and isn't greasy. It feels luxurious.

Then I went for broke and probably put about 20 drops of oil on each foot before bedtime. The next morning my feet looked so much better. I think I just needed to start with a loading dose to get back on track. 

Going forward, all I've been doing it to use my Emjoi MIcro Pedi about 3 times a week and put drops of Wen oil on each foot before bedtime. My feet look just great. 

I've started using the Wen Oil on my hands, arms, calves and face with great results. 

I think all of the Wen Treatment Oils works equally well on the body, though I prefer the Pomegranate and Tea Tree oils for my face. -- I've been using the Lavender/Mint oil for my body and it smells great as well.

Best of luck!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Bebe is right about Wen oil.....My hands are never dry anymore...I use it also almost everywhere, & also the Wen body lotion is wonderful...Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I also use this as handsoap.  It makes my hands feel soft...

I also use this as handsoap.  It makes my hands feel soft.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

My favorite is Aveeno in the green/beige tube.  It just works best for me.