Respected Contributor

Re: I also use this as handsoap.  It makes my hands feel soft...

@debic wrote:

I also use this as handsoap.  It makes my hands feel soft.

I didn't realize there was a body wash.  I'll have to get it.  I just love the Dr. Teal's Lavender Epsom Salt Bubble Bath.  

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@debic wrote:

I also use this as handsoap.  It makes my hands feel soft.

I didn't realize there was a body wash.  I'll have to get it.  I just love the Dr. Teal's Lavender Epsom Salt Bubble Bath.  

This ginger is new here and it smells good too.   I do the bubble bath as well.  I change the scents often.  After I finished the first body wash I saved the pump and put it in the bubble bath bottle. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Re: What has worked for those who have dry, cracked and bleeding hands

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

I agree with these suggestions. I live in central Texas, so winters are usually mild and I leave my heat off as long as possible and just wear sweaters and use cuddly blankets instead. The heat dries me out from my eyes to my toes. I keep a humidifier on in my bedroom and living room and that helps a lot. I even have a small humidifier on my desk at work.

When I find I'm washing my hands often, I switch from a soap to a cream cleanser and it helps a lot. I say this about face moisturizers a lot and think it extends to the rest of our bodies - we always worry about the moisturizers we use and forget to examine the cleansers we use, which often cause the real harm when it comes to dry skin.

I have very dry skin innately but I am also hypothyroid, which makes it worse. I would like to add to these suggestions that in the winter especially, I use olive oil bar soap (comes in a cream also) that I puchased by the truckload from QVC. It is amazing at keeping my skin moist and removes all of those little cold bumps and such with my 

Japanese Salux body cloth.

Respected Contributor

I also have been using Neutrogena for decades.  This works really well.

Valued Contributor

Something  that I use is called Waxelene , I buy it at the CVS, You can get it in a 2 oz. jar

or a 9 0z . jar , you only need a little . It is of  a vaseline consistency  but it is all natural , It's ingredients are natural vitamin E oil ,organic rosemary oil,organic soybean oil ,and beeswax. It has a slight scent of rosemary oil [very slight] or an earthy scent . I do not mind it , Iput on my hands and feet at night with socks and gloves . It works faster then vaseline asit is absorbed much faster , It can be used for all chapped and dry areas . Grea also for eczema and babies bum rash . It is great to relieve itchy rashes. I love it , If the scent is not what you like and it is slight, Just mix a bit of your favorite lotion with it. It costs abot 6 dollars for small jar and 1 2 dollars for large jar. It will last a long time , It is great for chapped lips also , Love it!

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A nurse told me that you should always wet and dry your hands before applying lotions that the lotion will go in better and take the moisture with it. 

I would add to always wear gloves going in and out of the car and outside (not mall) stores.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wanted to mention something else- NexCare Skin Crack Care.

Typical skin glues really hurt when I use them. NexCare is about as effective as other skin glues, but DOESN'T SING.

For me, a WONDERFUL PRODUCT!

Hard to find, but available on Amazon and in some awalgreens Drugstores.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Wanted to mention something else- NexCare Skin Crack Care.

Typical skin glues really hurt when I use them. NexCare is about as effective as other skin glues, but DOESN'T SING.

For me, a WONDERFUL PRODUCT!

Hard to find, but available on Amazon and in some awalgreens Drugstores.

Is that as soft as liquid bandade?   I use that a lot, but it's mostly for cuts and it does sting.  I have used super glue as well, but that really stings.

Nexcare bandaids are wonderful.   They now just have solid tape available.   I bought some but haven't needed to use it. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I swear by pure avocado butter for all dry skin needs.  It can be found at Denhams Naturals in small quantities, but I use so much I get 6 lbs at a time from Dr. Adorable. 

Trusted Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

I agree with these suggestions. I live in central Texas, so winters are usually mild and I leave my heat off as long as possible and just wear sweaters and use cuddly blankets instead. The heat dries me out from my eyes to my toes. I keep a humidifier on in my bedroom and living room and that helps a lot. I even have a small humidifier on my desk at work.

When I find I'm washing my hands often, I switch from a soap to a cream cleanser and it helps a lot. I say this about face moisturizers a lot and think it extends to the rest of our bodies - we always worry about the moisturizers we use and forget to examine the cleansers we use, which often cause the real harm when it comes to dry skin.

I have very dry skin innately but I am also hypothyroid, which makes it worse. I would like to add to these suggestions that in the winter especially, I use olive oil bar soap (comes in a cream also) that I puchased by the truckload from QVC. It is amazing at keeping my skin moist and removes all of those little cold bumps and such with my 

Japanese Salux body cloth.

ETA:  The Virgin Olive Oil Bath Soap Beauty Bars are Item # A