Respected Contributor

Re: What has worked for those who have dry, cracked and bleeding hands

As a long time member of the beauty board I would suggest O'Keefe's Working Hands (drugstores, Hime Depot,Bed Bath Beyond) or Neutrogena Norwegian hand cream. Both are excellent for the cracked, bleeding, sore hands of winter.

Honored Contributor

I have used this hand cream for years...a little goes a long way!  I also use coconut oil on my hands at night, my  cuticles are always dry.

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

I had a pharmacist suggest Neutrogena hand cream for the cracks on my fingers...

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@butterfly123 I know you said you tried sleeping with gloves on - have you tried Vaseline w/the gloves?  That really helped me.

(I've also read about using Crisco lol but I'm not going to try that)

If my hands get bad I'll use Cetaphil and put on those exam gloves and wear them as long as I can stand them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

Another vote for O'Keefe's Working Hands.  My husband uses this when his hands are majorly cracked and sometimes bleeding after doing concrete work.  Get it at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Home Depot.  It is a thick paste, more than a cream.  It really is a miracle worker.  

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

4) you can try something that coats the hands for a long period of time, like this:

I am a teacher, so in addition to being exposed to a lot of germs, I also handle a lot of paper, which really dries my hands out.  I am forever washing my hands, and this stays on all day. 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@dex @ChynnaBlue

Thank you for asking about psoriasis and eczema.  I don't have either.  I saw the dermatologist 2 weeks ago and he told me to use the prescription triamcinolone acetonide cream that is used for dermatitis. I called the derm doctor and the earliest I can see him is March. So I will again use the patient portal and see if he has any other suggestions. When we lived in Omaha my husband's friend was a pharmacist and he used to compound a secret mixture that was fantastic. The pharmacist has since retired.

@butterfly123, I'm really glad that you checked with a dermatologist to make sure that you didn't have an underlying skin condition.

Until a few months ago, L'Occitaine 10% shea butter over jojoba oil was the best overnight combination I had found. -- Then I would use Josie Maran's balm during the day because it contained beeswax and beeswax doesn't wash right off after you wash your hands during the day. It stays around to help provide continued protection.

That said, in the winter, I'm always playing catch up with my heels. Whatever I do, eventually they wind up cracking and bleeding on occasion.

A few months ago, I purchased Wen Treatment Oil (by Chaz Dean) which was in the September Wen TSV. -- Out of desperation, in November when my heels were starting to look bad, I put about 6 drops of the Wen oil on the bottom of my feet before bedtime. The following morning my feet definitely looked better. I did this for three nights in a row and saw some improvement. 

The Wen Treatment Oils absorbs right into my skin and isn't greasy. It feels luxurious.

Then I went for broke and probably put about 20 drops of oil on each foot before bedtime. The next morning my feet looked so much better. I think I just needed to start with a loading dose to get back on track. 

Going forward, all I've been doing it to use my Emjoi MIcro Pedi about 3 times a week and put drops of Wen oil on each foot before bedtime. My feet look just great. 

I've started using the Wen Oil on my hands, arms, calves and face with great results. 

I think all of the Wen Treatment Oils works equally well on the body, though I prefer the Pomegranate and Tea Tree oils for my face. -- I've been using the Lavender/Mint oil for my body and it smells great as well.

Best of luck!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@butterfly123

In addition to what everyone has already suggested...

1) get a humidifier for each level of your house, if you don't already have one.

2) Hydrate from within.  Drink half of your weight in water, in ounces.  If you weigh 150, you would need 75 ounces a day.

3) Use a cream based cleanser to wash your hands instead of an antibacterial soap.

I use these:

4) you can try something that coats the hands for a long period of time, like this:

I am a teacher, so in addition to being exposed to a lot of germs, I also handle a lot of paper, which really dries my hands out.  I am forever washing my hands, and this stays on all day. 

@lolakimono, those are three great suggestions... especially the humidifier. Smiley Happy

Also, the Surgeon Secret stick shown is 50% beeswax which is probably the most beeswax in any product around. -- QVC doesn't have any Surgeon Secret presentations any more, but a number of their products are available at qvc.com. -- The sticks have the greatest percentage of beeswax in them. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@susielong wrote:

O'Keefe's working hands. If your feet are dry, try their Healthy feet cream, it's great too!!

I recommend O'Keefe"s also. Hubby had tried everything for his dry hands since he worked outside........Buy it at Walmart....that is the cheapest place..

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 I have a different type of suggestion to offer.  What has made the biggest difference in my skin is using only non-SLS (sodium laurel/laureth sulfate) soaps and cleansers. The SLS strips the natural oils from the skin.  A good and relatively inexpensive non-SLS hand and body wash is Alaffia Everday Shea Body Wash.  I buy it from The Vitamin Shoppe for around $12 for a 32 ounce bottle.  A small bit goes a long way and it does not dry out the skin.  

I hope you you find something that works for you.  Smiley Happy

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123 wrote:

I have tried l'occitane, working hands, the other cream that is sold on Q, argon oil, OTC lotions and sleeping with cotton gloves on.  Nothing is working.  I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!

I use Bag Balm on my feet and then put socks on.  I'm sure you could do the same for your hands with gloves.  It is used for dry cracked cow udders.  It comes in a green tin and I purchased mine at Walgreens. 

450.jpg