Frequent Contributor

Re: What do you take to help you sleep?

Never, ever in my life until THIS year have I had a problem going to sleep.  I have started using Andrew Lessman "Nightime".  I take 1 about an hour before bedtime and sleep until morning.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

A juice size glass of milk helps me. When I'm stuffed up from allergies, Benadryl keeps me sleeping for at least six straight hours.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG   Do you feel like you have a hangover from the Benadryl?

DD got me some sleep aid from CVS 2 years ago. It had Benadryl. I slept, but holy cow, the next day I felt awful.  Had I gone on a bender the night before I couldn't have felt worse. I told my husband that I felt like I have the worst hangover.

I googled it and thereis a Benadryl hangover.

The remaining pills went in the garbage.

Honored Contributor

Hormones, and I dread the gyno taking me off of them.  But, I never had a problem going to sleep.  It was just that after menopause that I had trouble staying asleep.  

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Nothing. I keep a routine, exercise 4-5 days per week, and I don't eat heavily after dinner. If I find I cannot sleep anyway, I read or watch something boring on TV until I can't stay awake. IMO taking "something" on a regular basis would become less effective sooner or later.

Lately I find tuning to QVC puts me to sleep.  LOL

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desert Lily.  Best thing in the world for sleep is The Bob Ross Channel which I get on my Samsung TV on TV Plus.  He paints pretty much the same thing 24/7.

He has a very soothing voice, too!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  yes I feel groggy the next morning from just that tiny pink pill. It's got at least a 12 hour lifespan in my body!

Honored Contributor

I take melatonin every night

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't take anything unless I have a headache and then I'll take Tylenol or Advil.  I don't eat after dinner and I've been told this makes a difference because your body is working hard to digest food after you eat.  So I haven't eaten for 3 - 4 hours before I go to bed.

If I have something on my mind, I will try to figure it out because for sure if I don't, I will wake up and no matter how tired I am, I will start thinking about it.  I always write down what is bothering me and go from there.  I was told that writing it longhand makes a connection in the brain and that doesn't happen if you type it.  

Depending on what my issue is, I might listen to a Tara Brach talk.  She has 45 minute talks about all kinds of topics.  

As others have mentioned, just listening to something will sometimes put me to sleep.  And finally, I don't fight it.  When I realize I'm not going to get back to sleep, I will sit up, read, listen to Tara Brach, or if I'm really awake, I'll even check email or unload the dishwasher.  Eventually, I usually do get back to sleep.  It might take 2 or 3 hours.  

ETA:  I have laid down on the couch and turned on an old Miss Marple.  Sometimes that works.  

Honored Contributor

I don't need something to help me sleep every night, just occasionally.  When I need something I take a generic product from walmart.  I think it's called 'sleep aid'.

If I am not asleep by midnight (I go to bed at 10 pm). I get up and take 1/2 a tablet and I go to sleep in about 30 minutes.  If I take the pill earlier in the evening I take a whole pill.