Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you do when you have

I walk over a mile everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

I have ear plugs my son used for he was a mechanic but they don't do anything for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a noise machine going every night.

Esteemed Contributor

I find when i can't sleep i will try for a while and if it doesn't seem i will go to sleep i get up and get busy...after a while i am very tired and do fall to sleep................

Also ....i take some advice my mothers doctor had given her..................sometimes it is hard to turn your mind off from the day, worries, sadness, or even things you have to do the next day or in the future...........he suggested you keep a notepad and pen next to your bed...and when you 

think of these things...write them down....it relaxes you more so you know you will be able to review it in the morning and deal with those thoughts then...it did work for my Mom and eventually me also...........

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love listening to good books. I have discovered my library  has a huge listing of my favorites, so there is almost an unlimited free supply.

I load them on my iPad (or Ipod/IPhone) so can’t sleep no problem. I turn on my book and set the timer for 30 minutes or for the end of a chapter. This keeps me from solving all the worlds problems, and I never ever ever hear the timer turn the book off.  If I did I would just give it another 30 minutes.

Same if I wake up in the middle of the night, I just turn my Ipad/Iphone back on and listen and the same thing happens, I never hear the book automatically turn off.

I think knowing I’ve got something enjoyable to listen to takes the stress out of trying to go to sleep. I do the same thing when I travel because I always have a good book on my iPhone. The worst that can happen is I get to the end and I’m still not asleep, I just give myself another 30 minutes.

I also think when you are laying down, with your eyes closed, lights off, and just listening you are already setting the stage to go to sleep easier.

p.s. I do use melatonin when I travel for the first few days and it works beautifully. Especially if I am traveling to Europe five or six times zones difference.

Honored Contributor

Two Benadryl tablets work as a sleep aid for me.  Also, stop obsessing over it.  You are going to your doctor next month and you discuss it with him or her.  

Honored Contributor

I use melatonin sublinguil tablets.  They seem to help me sleep better.

Honored Contributor

That rarely happens to me - but when it does - I take out my Kindle and start reading a meditation .... and I generally fall asleep before I reach the bottom of the page.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I switch locations.  I start out in bed.  If I am not asleep in an hour, I grab my pillow and go to the living room, kick back the stradle lounger, and sleep there.  That usually does it.  If that doesn't work, I go to a den where we have a couch that is quite firm.  I keep it as dark as I can but always have a flashlight with me in case I have to get up.  I was telling my daughter about this and she said, " I do the same thing mom (change rooms), and it works for me, too"! If you nap during the day, you might what to limit it to 1 hour.  Napping too much can really keep me awake at night.  I hope you get some good sleep, soon.  

Respected Contributor

It is said that the worry about not sleeping contributes to the problem.