Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do to help yourself if you have spinal lumbar stenosis.

My poor uncle and my aunt on my mother's side suffer from spinal stenosis. My uncle tried everything including acupuncture and nothing helped. He basically used alcohol to dull the pain and be able to get around. My uncle was 6ft tall and the last time I saw him his head was sitting between his shoulders, he has no neck any more. My aunt is not as bad, she's 84 and still gets around pretty good, but she deals with pain everyday and has a tuff time sleeping. I saw her a few weeks ago and her body is starting to twist. She too has tried just about everything, her doctor will give her pain meds., but she is afraid to take them because of falls. As far as doing something to help yourself cope with this condition, I would find a good massage therapist.

Respected Contributor

I have Spinal Stenosis along with Degenerative Disc Disease. i'm 62 and i had my first lumbar surgery 10 years ago. They did a laminectomy and a 3 level fusion with cage.

I was doing well for a few years but now cannot walk w/o a cane. I have a good deal of pain. My right leg just buckles from under me. I had another level of lumbar fusion in 2017 and now my C-spine is involved. My right arm is drastically weakening and my fingers are numb. i drop things all day long.

i've done the rounds of PT and steroids. The injections don't last long and then its hard to find a good trusted doctor who can inject safely.  The last time i had one i passed out and they had  to put me in the waiting room while i laid there looking green around the gills. 

There is Medical MJ in my state. i would have to use something like an edible becuase i cannot tolerate smoke.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your post @PamfromCT . I'm also in CT and tried to get a full-usage card but my rheumatologist refuses to help me get it, even though RA is now "legal" here for medical MJ.

I might check to see if the dispensary can coach me on CBD products that you don't need an MJ card for. I'm having awful spine problems on top of the RA and don't want to keep relying on muscle relaxers and heavier on bad days.

Super Contributor

Hi @PilatesLover ... I just began using CBD oil on July 27th. I have costochondritis and degenerating discs @ T7 & 8. I have a lot of rib and back pain with  inflammation.

It's too soon to say for sure it's helping, but I do seem to feel a little more comfortable the last couple of days. The  shop owner said give it a week. You just put 2 or 3 drops under your tongue and hold it for a minute or so. I'm working up to find my sweet spot. I use 3 drops during the day and 4 or 5 at night, since that's when I have some of the most discomfort turning over, getting up, etc.

I would say give it a try. It may help you!

I live in NC and it's locally grown, organic, full spectrum Hemp and MCT oil. Pot is not legal here. I started with a small 1/2 oz.bottle. It is a little pricey. I think it was $45 plus tax.

If it works by the time I get to the end I will be getting the larger size. I have spent a small fortune in chiropractic and medical massage...not covered by insurance. I won't take any of the Rx doc offer because of the side affects, Advil only when I can't take the pain any longer.

Also... I have began, slowly, adding some new stretches a poster mentioned on the Fibro/Costo thread... called Classical Stretch on PBS. I found them on Youtube. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think the poster was Diane J.

Best wishes....pain bites!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tabbycat  thank you for the feedback - I hope it is your magical bullet. That is a very good point about the sums of money we can spend on other things such as massage, pain meds and chiropractors.

I have done Classical Stretch, every so often I treat myself to a streaming subscription at the Essentrics website. It's very good for pain relief.  The Essentrics website has a selection of mini workouts you can access for free to try out. I would post a link, but I see those threads get shut down sometimes.

I'll look for the fibro thread. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

About six years ago I had MRI and such taken on my upper shoulder area and neck.  I was told I had spinal stenosis on like #6 and# 7.  The doctor at the time mentioned surgery.... I was in a lot of pain and could not hardly lift my arms up over my head, and I had pain running down my arms from my upper back.. sleeping was terribly painful... moving my arms at all was painful. I had weakness in my  arms too.

I started my own search for remedies... and found a combination of Chinese herbs that work for me... I went to a Chinese doctor who only works with herbs.  I have been taking them daily now since 2013 and my pain is virtually gone.  The pain I had is now just a memory.  I can not tell you what the herbal combination is... but, I might suggest you try going to  a natural doctor such as who practices in Chinese medicine to see if that gives you other options from Western medicine.  The herbs work with blood flow and energy connections  in the spine....   but of course this works for me... it may not work for everyone.