Honored Contributor

Re: What do you Think About This Quote?

@lolakimono wrote:

In a sense it may be true. Right after a heart attack and stents, the following morning I was served in a major hospital a breakfast of eggs, bacon and various carbohydrates completely wrong for my diabetes. Apparently, a bowl of cereal, an enormous roll and lots of coffee and fatty creamer were what they thought appropriate.

I also think little is known on how various illnesses that nutrition plays a major role. Not all clinicians are educated in how differently everyone is in their reaction to food and thus the one size fits all dietary advice is often given.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tend to disagree with statements as broad as this one.   I think they discourage beneficial focus on individual people or businesses trying to work for the good and I think they encourage cynicism, pessimism, stereotyping, and completely inaccurate, misleading, uninformed bashing of industries or groups.   As much as I really do like using quotes from those wiser than I ever could be (and that's a lot of people😉), I'm afraid many of these quotations make great bumper stickers but have little or no substance.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Not much!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Of course it's true!!

People still think their doctors as god-like.

Doctors have a business...to get as much money from that patient.

So many modern day illnesses, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc,

can be cured/prevented with a simple change of diet. 

Once a doctor hands you a pill, you're a customer for life.

IMG_1209.jpg

Honored Contributor

Low fat whole foods plant based for optimum health!

IMG_1208.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Low fat whole foods plant based for optimum health!

I don't remember ever being served breakfast after my heart attack.  I was in ICU for four days.  I was there for 9 days in total.  There was absolutely NO bacon and eggs.

I didn't even get bacon and eggs when I had the titanium screws put it my hip because it was my Cardiologist who admitted me.  I was in the Ortho wing, but still no bacon and eggs.  He is my PCP and called the Ortho surgeon, who did the procedure.  But, my diet was a cardio diet.  Little does he know, what I eat at home.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the quote.  While it's getting better, doctors primarily prescribe medicines rather than looking for the underlying cause.  I have many examples in my own life but I’ll only mention one.  I kept getting eye infections and my doctor kept giving me antibiotic eye drops.  He said I must keep re-infecting my eye.  I read up on the eye drops and realized that taking them long-term would eventually harm my eyes.  I did my own research about vitamins/nutrition for the eye.  I began taking extra vitamin A and never had another eye infection.  There are many health problems/symptoms that are caused by not having the right balance of vitamins/minerals. I doubt many doctors look at that as the cause.      

Honored Contributor

TRUTH.

Honored Contributor

Re: Low fat whole foods plant based for optimum health!

@sophiamarie wrote:

I don't remember ever being served breakfast after my heart attack.  I was in ICU for four days.  I was there for 9 days in total.  There was absolutely NO bacon and eggs.

I didn't even get bacon and eggs when I had the titanium screws put it my hip because it was my Cardiologist who admitted me.  I was in the Ortho wing, but still no bacon and eggs.  He is my PCP and called the Ortho surgeon, who did the procedure.  But, my diet was a cardio diet.  Little does he know, what I eat at home.

I was transferred to a hospital with a Cath lab the day after a major heart attack. No room just partitions between the patients. We were all monitored from a front desk.  Both days, I was served horrible, caloric, fatty foods. Both hospitals paid no interest in what I ate and I had to keep asking for insulin. It was a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE STATEMENT.

We  EACH are in charge of what we eat....and who we select to doctor us.  We have choices.

When  I had both knees and both hips replaced, the hospital( Valley  Medical  in Renton ,  WA)Served The best healthiest menu!  I had steamed veggies, garden salads, steamed salmon filet and fresh fruit.   Patients could choose their menu and they pushed healthy over none healthy. I so pleased!