Valued Contributor

@Zhills I just started reading your thread today. Now you know, and can take positive action in getting back to good health. You will be in my prayers for successful surgery and healing.

Respected Contributor

Re: What did you do...

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

Saw the Doctor today.  Minute malignancy comfirmed.  She said the surgery would be the same as having to remove the perforation from diverticulitis.....the follow up treatment will be the difference.  Apparently, no sign of it spreading to lymph nodes or liver.

Haven't told anyone else yet.  Just trying to comprehend it all.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.  They have really helped me to face this.

Now, on to tomorrow.....Keep me in y our prayers.

@Zhills

I think the worst part for me was the waiting and not knowing--biopsies, etc.  I had breast cancer.  Once I knew it and the doctors had decided on treatment--surgery and radiation for six weeks--I just got busy with the logistics of the treatment.  The unknown is worse than having a treatment plan.  Surgery wasn't that bad and the radiation treatments were pretty easy.  I drove myself and went alone.

I've been cancer free for eight years now.  I feel good about myself for handling my illness and serving as a role model for my son.  I met many wonderful people at the radiology center and hospital.  HUGS to you and my very best wishes for a quick recovery!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: What did you do...

[ Edited ]

@Zhills

I am so glad that there was no metastasis to lymph nodes or liver and that it is being classified as minute.

My father was diagnosed with colon CA and recovered from it fully.  I realize that receiving a CA diagnosis is not a diagnosis no one wants to hear, when caught early the prognosis is very good.

I continue to keep you in my thoughts.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Fasting blood test and chest xray and I am ready for surgery.  The hospital had a new surgical "ROBOT" coming in that should be here next week.  My surgeon is anxious to use it!  Wish I was as anxious as she is.  That is her specialty!!!!!

Still haven't shared my diagnosis.  My daughter is changing jobs; ens one Jul 15 and starts another on Aug 1.  Maybe surgery will be while she is off and I will share with her.  My son is working 200 miles away so he stays a week at a time.  Would be difficult for him.

This waiting is taking it's toll.....Thanks to all of you for your support and prayers.

Frequent Contributor

@Zhills

Yes, robotic surgery is exciting and exact.  I was able to try one at a convention...cool stuff.  Your doctor's excitement and specialty is an advantage for you, yes.

I want to just share a little something...my first surgery I wanted to be alone for many reasons.  One, because I become emotional when someone is nice to me---I know odd, but I felt I would feel stronger going into surgery alone and against my husband's protest, he was there after.  BUT even years later, I cry for that scared part of me, that I hid with humor prior to surgery.  I still use the humor before surgery thinking it will make everyone else feel better [insert rolling eyes] .  One surgery, yes, I look like a road map, the surgical team needed a consent from my husband.  He was reached by phone.  

I know that has nothing to do with sharing with your children....well, kind of.   Your children are now adults.  Telling them is not quilting them or pressuring them into altering their plans, but it will allow them to make a choice.  Isn't that what we all want?  If something went awry, someone would be put into a position of explaining, without a choice.  Your family may feel you didn't value their ability to make the best decision for themself---to be there for you before, during and or after your surgery, or be updated by phone.   You're there mother, Zhills.

OK, I will own I did that and I felt alone, needlessly,my family felt disregarded and I felt misunderstood trying to explain myself.  :/  Not my intention.

I wish you only the best and I understand not wanting to interfere in your children's life.  I get that.  

Whatever you decide, please know it isn't right or wrong.  I will continue to think of you every day.  Will you let us know when you go in so we can at least support you from afar?  

((((HUGS)))

Respected Contributor

I prayed.

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills Prayers and best wishes for a complete recovery.  

Do the math.
Frequent Contributor

@Zhills

Wanted you to know your're in my thoughts.  I hope you are finding a way to cope with the pre-surgery waiting.

Wishing you a successful surgery, a fast, complete recovery and healthy years ahead. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.  All of my tests results should be to my PCP by today or tomorrow.  The hospital had called her Tuesday and asked about the chest xray, so they are aware.  I am so scared.  Haven't told the family yet.  My son is out of town and my daughter is on cloud nine because she just found out she is going to be a Nana!  Just bad timing.

Prayers, please.  I feel so alone and I am really frightened.  We won't know the extent of the C until after surgery.

Frequent Contributor

@Zhills

{{{ I hear you feel very scared and your concern about sharing this with your family is real for you and something you can't do now.   And, you have to wait until after the surgery to find out about more about the cancer and the treatment options. Sooo difficult.  }}}

Is there someone you can contact and meet face to face, whom you can confide in for help through this?  Did you ever think of calling your doctor's office and sharing how scared you feel?  They may listen and comfort you, or maybe your doctor may prescribe something to help with the anxiety?  

You pray, or you've asked for prayers.  Does that help?  Could you speak with someone in your church, or in your community?  

I feel badly for you and wish I could give you a physical hug and comfort you.    

http://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/finding-support-and-information/finding-support-buddy

Please know you are thought of.